Hopping a Border

I am fortunate in that my sons, twins, are in their 30's and probably immune to the draft. I shudder to think about the amount of stress I would be suffering right now, if they were any younger. If the draft were reinstated tomorrow, would you get the money together to send your son over a border to avoid it?
@missyd79 (3438)
well my son is 5 so he is safe for the next couple of years.
Sage, This is a most interesting topic and I am thankful that I don't have to make a choice such as this. I am not sure if I am in favor of the draft as it was again; but I am sure that I don't like the present system either. I detest that most of our soldiers are serving their country not because they want to but because they think it is "their way to a better future". I don't know how many of you remember the little POW Jessica Lynch - the first woman POW way back at the beginning of this damning war. She only lives about half an hour away from me. Her reason for wanting to join the armed forces was to get an education. She wanted to be a teacher. I have a friend who's only son, joined the Army for the same reason - an education. How many of America's inner-city young adults join as a way to turn their futures around? This is a subject that saddens me so very much; especially when I live so close to at least 2 major college campuses and am able to see wealthy young people strutting around and getting their educations without anything holding them back or down. Somehow, Some way, there needs to be a change. What that change is, I don't know. ~Donna
@quispy (572)
I would be so far over the border with my kids, they would never find me! I too, have given this alot of thought. My oldest is 14, soon to be 15. I have no problem with the military, and I think that all kids could use the discipline that the military offers. However at war time it is another issue, especially this war.
You are lucky that your sons won't have to face the draft. I have given this much serious thought. My son is 18 and has no physical reasons why he would not be drafted if the reinstate the draft. It is my fear that that day is rapidly approaching for us in America. Bush plans on adding another 20,000 troops, but we don't have that kind of trained manpower to add to Iraq and still maintain what we need to in other places. As for sending my son over the boarder, I think that would have to be his decision. I would support his decision either way though and completly understand if he wanted to dodge the draft. Great topic, by the way.