Have you checked out your Body Mass Index or BMI?

My friends and I are all trying to lose 30 pounds by the first day of summer and I want to make sure that I'm doing it in the most healthy way possible. We made a few rules ... like no starving yourself, purging yourself or use of diet pills. I was searching the web to find out what my goal weight should be and discovered that if I go by my Body Mass Index for my height (5'5") I can weight between 115-145 lbs. and still be in the normal weight range. Thirty pounds seems like a big spread and I'm sure there are different reasons for this ... for example I didn't see anything that talked about gender or body type. Do you know your Body Mass Index and do you think your results are pretty accurate? If you're not sure you can check out this link: http://www.consumer.gov/weightloss/bmi.htm
@srhelmer (6930)
• Beaver Dam, Wisconsin
I'm in the right BMI for my height. However, the data is a bit misleading. For example, professional athletes sometimes have a high BMI because muscle adds weight.
@brokentia (10396)
For anyone that checks out the link, scroll all the way to the bottom. There is a BMI calculator there where you can enter you height and weight. And hey! Great news! I am normal!! Hey me!! :) That was a great pick me up for the day! Thanks for sharing!!! My only thing is, I can weight the range of 107 - 135 lbs. Thst's a huge gap, don't you think? Is that designed because of our different bone sizes or do we give that much leeway because then we do not feel as bad if we are in the high end of the goal target weight? I'm with you. Even though I am in my weight range, I still plan on loosing some weight. But that hasn't been too hard to do since changing my eating habits to low carb after learning that I am border line diabetic. If it were not for that, I would probably be still struggling with my weight. Watching it go up and down like a yo-yo!
I think the range is wide too ... but I'm sure that there's good reason for it. I would much rather it tell me that I can be 145 rather then I MUST be 115 lbs. That way it might give me a more balanced idea of what is healthy as opposed to trying to look like a twig, not that I have to worry about that!
@brokentia (10396)
ha ha I hear ya! I would like it to just give me my max weight. Then I would just look at it as, "Good, I'm below it" and that would be all that mattered. But at this point, I know that I want to shoot for the middle of that range. So, I am hoping to be at 120 in the next few months. I think the middle is pretty good. Because I certainly don't want to be a twig. Oh and hey! Don't forget that pizza you can have! :) I love my pizza!!!! :) Would you believe even my partner eating it all the time too? ha ha He says that if he can still have pizza and it still be that low in carbs, he is not going to pass it up. But, he could live on pizza. ha ha
@brokentia (10396)
:) Hiya....I know this is an old discussion but I wanted to tell you that I came back to find this discussion to find that website you gave. I wanted to check my progress. :) I am NOT the 120 lbs that I want to be...but I am getting closer!!!! :) I am 128 and my BMI is now 22.7. Yea!!!! I hope you are doing well too.
@villageanne (8554)
according to this site.I am just the right weight. I thought I was overweight. I am so excited! Can't wait to tell my husband. LOL He is always telling me that I am not overweight but I fell like I am. Thanks for the site and info.
Congrats on being just the right weight! It's nice that your husband tells you that you're not overweight ... when my husband says that to me I always say, "I love it when you lie to me!" (Of course this only applies to my weight!)
@brokentia (10396)
I have to laugh! My partner would never tell me that I was overweight either! LOL Even when I was pregnant and had the belly that I looked fat and not pregnant. ha ha He would tell me that he loved my baby belly and I didn't look fat. And the reason I am lauging...because I would give him some of the same comments. "You so sweet to lie to me!" LOL Or "Your just lying to make me feel better...thank you." hahahaha
@crazynurse (7489)
While the Body Mass Index (BMI) is a good guideline, it does not take into account that muscle is heavier than fat. A very lean, muscular man or woman may weigh outside the defined limits and show as 'obese.' That is the only problem that I have with the use of the BMI. Good luck on your weight loss goals!
Thanks ... unfortunately I'm neither very lean or muscular! I've lost 9 lbs so far so hopefully I can keep it up!
@medooley (1874)
Based on my BMI i am slightly over weight... geez, like I needed some sort of formula to tell me that one. I think for most normal people the BMI is a good judge of how you are doing weight wise, but I don't think that it takes into account for the weight of muscle. Good luck with your weight loss.
Thanks and I'm sure that the reason why you're a little over the BMI is because of your huge muscles ... wish it was the same in my case!