Cats and Grass

I know that outdoor cats sometimes eat grass to settle their stomach. Sometimes when I let my cat out on our deck(she can't get off, no stairs) I feel like she is searching for grass or something to chew on. Should I plant a small pot of grass and put it in the house for her? Do they need it?
@sylvrrain (661)
I don't see where it would hurt. If you let your cat out on your deck, try planting a window box or some kind of long short box with grass. In some pet stores they actually sell the pot with the grass seeds. I am not sure what kind of seeds they put in the package. I do know that it is a little expensive for a pot and a handful of grass seed. I think it would be cheaper to get your own and put it together. You can also get catnip to grow. That drives them wild, it is so funny to watch.
@shywolf (4522)
I think that it's a wonderful idea for you to grow some grass for your cat since she can't get to any outside on your deck. I would think that she would really welcome the chance to have some to chew on to settle her stomach. I'm not sure if animals need it, per se, and I'm pretty sure that there are some cats that are house cats that never get outside to get ahold of any, but I really think that your cat would love it, and it would be so sweet of you to do that just for her! ^_^
@crazynurse (7489)
My vet (who is also a close friend) suggested that I plant my own grass rather than let my cat eat grass from outdoors. As a previous poster mentioned, grass outdoors often has lime, scotts turfbuilder, weedkiller, and chemicals from road/car pollution. The vet suggested either getting one of the kits from the pet store or planting just regular grass in a low pot. My cat is forever chewing on my houseplants (for the same reason that they eat the grass, to digest food and hairballs and/or take care of an upset stomach). We did grow and dry some catnip for our cat last summer. He loves it! As for 'needing' the grass, the vet said that the cat would do fine without it, but that if I wanted to grow it, the cat would enjoy it!
You can grow some. You can purchase seeded plant containers at stores such as Wal Mart in the pet section, and some pet stores that only need water and begin to grow within a few days. Those are made specifically for cats. My cat loved them. It keeps them out of the plants too.
They don't really need it. It helps clean out their stomachs, but they can get parisites from grass outside. They sell clean seeds to grow for them at the petstore. They may vomit or poop loose from it thought.
@JoyfulOne (6242)
It seems that all cats crave grass. When mine don't have access to grass they start nibbling on my indoor plants. To solve this I keep a small pot of lawn grass potted and keep it down by the floor. (It actually doesn't look bad if placed in the right type of pot) I've included some links that explain why cats want to eat grass. As I suspected, it's mostly to help them digest the furballs that they get from cleaning themselves. I also found out that they eat it to help digest other matter, like bones. http://www.felinefuture.com/health/catseatgrass.php http://www.vetinfo.com/deatgrass.html http://www.petshealth.com/dr_library/grasscats.html