Buying Movies

My husband is driving me crazy. Every time a new movie he likes comes out, he wants to buy it. Then, we rarely watch them twice. What is the point of owning something we aren't going to watch more than once? Do you do this or do you just rent them?
@crazynurse (7489)
You sound exactly like me when talking to my two oldest children. They are out on their own and starting families and homes. I too, do not understand the point of buying movies. There might be a handful of movies that I would want to own and watch repeatedly. Also, what happens when the format changes, as it did when we went from VHS to DVDs? I did buy some Disney movies when my children were smaller but seldom buy an adult movie. Ha, perhaps you should insert the same movie for about 4 nights in a row claiming that you want to get your moneys worth!!
@Tarrish (562)
To be honest I'm a complusive buyer as well, but I seem to buy many of the older movies. I have a wide varity of 80s films and early 90s. If I see something from my teenage years that I loved I got to have it. I worked at Blockbuster for two years, and you can only imagine how many DVDs I purchased. I guess the DVDs are nice to have around when you feel the need to pop that old movie in, but unless I like the movie I won't buy it. I mean a high liking. I don't really rent anymore unless my friend rents the movie because of working in a video store. I didn't pay for rentals for two years, and now it just feels weird. ;)
@freesoul (3023)
• Egypt
Yes I collect movies too and have a huge collection, it's a hobby like collecting stamps or coins, etc . I don't just like to see movies, I love also to collect them and i get to see them more than once sometimes .. it's just the fact that they are there and can see them whenever i like that makes me happy..
I don't see the sense to buying it, unless you plan to see in a lot of times over the years. I for one, only like to see it once. So, I rent the movie.
@amitavroy (4824)
well i think he has a hobby of collecting movies. and i think it does not matter if you see them always or not. you should have them as a collectors collection. there are times when you feel a lot bore. so at that time you can get those cds or dvds and play them, and i tell you, you will enjoy that a lot.
@carlaabt (3505)
We usually buy movies. We rarely rent them. We can't find the time to watch the entire thing before it's time to go back. We have quite a collection. Some are still in shrink wrap. We buy them and think maybe we will have time sometime to watch. Sadly it rarely happens. We have finally gotten out of the habit of doing this so much, though. Usually when we buy movies now, they are for my son. And we watch them over and over and over again. So we do get our money out of them at least. It makes me feel better about all the grown up movies still in shrink wrap in the shelves downstairs. :)
We buy a lot of movies! Just yesterday went to rent one, and there was a buy 2 get 2 sale, so he came home with FOUR movies! We watch them repeatedly, though. Maybe we're easily amused.
@mcmomss (2601)
We buy movies we really like. We watch them every once in a while. The kids especially will watch a movie over and over again. I don't mind watching a movie more than once if it was a good one.
@Garameo (903)
hey, come down. i think it is a hobby. what´s your hobby. your husband will also know some thinks you´re going to buy which aren´t needful things. maybe.
I think he likes collecting movies. I do occasionally buy DVDS too and I only watch them once :) I don't really know why I like buying. I think I feel better when I watch movies at home rather than in the cinema. Happy mylotting!
@arunr175 (1679)
I also don't see the point in buying movie that you want see them more than once, I have seen quiet a bit of movies more than once but I never buy there DVD's and keep them at home ...
When I first got a DVD player, I bought movies almost weekly. Now, however, I find it is more economical to join a club, like Blockbuster or Netflix, and only buy movies I want to watch over and over.
@shywolf (4520)
I only own a very few movies. Almost all of those were given to me as presents by friends, and they are movies that I might actually watch over one day. I am really not the type to watch a movie over and over, so it would be pointless for me to own many. I think that one set I would love to actually own would be the Harry Potter movies. Those I could see myself watching over quite a few times each, including the new one when it comes out. I can't wait! ^_^ Anyway, I don't see the point in owning the movies if you aren't going to watch them over, unless you just really like collecting things. *laugh*
@missyd79 (3438)
i will but the kid's movies for my son because i know he watches them over and over again, but usually i just rent them and the burn them....
@Idlewild (6094)
I own hundreds of music CDs, but fewer than 10 movie DVDs. I can listen to music over and over again, but even movies I really love I can't see watching more than a few times, except for a few. If you have a good library near you you can borrow movies there for free, that's what I do. (But then again, the library I use is the New York Public Library, which has many thousands of titles).