Lab Partner Rants

@Pigglies (9340)
Any student who has had a science class with a lab either knows what I'm talking about as far as bad lab partners, or they are the bad lab partner. I always seem to get the bad lab partner. Usually it's someone who knows nothing about the subject and is just hoping for a C, while I'm hoping for an A. Sometimes they are good at the subject, but just lazy. Most often they are not only a complete dunce about the subject, they are also extremely unskilled at doing everything, which means I get to do all of the labs myself. Sometimes I get somewhat lucky and they don't really know anything, but will at least follow instructions (even if they complain the whole way through). My lab partner for chemistry this quarter is actually likely my best lab partner. Or maybe one for microbiology was. But in any case, she's above average for the ones I've had. Sometimes she probably thinks I'm the dunce. I took chemistry a couple years ago and can't seem to remember much about it. I'm somewhat clumsy at times and a couple weeks ago I did spill oxalic acid all over our table. But I have a rant about her anyway. So last lab, we're doing reactions and timing them in specific conditions (hot, cold, etc.). The reactions at room temperature were done first, and all took about 5 minutes. The instructor had informed us that the reactions would take at least 2-3 minutes. So I go get my beaker of reactants, and she goes to get hers. She comes back, we pour them together and start the timer. In 20 seconds, it turns blue. That's odd. But I figure the instructor doesn't know what he's talking about, because sometimes he doesn't. So I ask her just incase, if she got the right amounts for sure. And she says, "Yes, I'm sure I did. And I also got your reactants in my beaker just incase you messed up." Ummm... hello? There was a reason we were supposed to keep it separate! It reactants when you put it together and we wanted to time that. Wouldn't it have been funny if she took 20 seconds longer to walk over? Then it would have been blue in her hands and I would have caught her "blue handed" hehe. So we had to do the experiment again for that part. What's your rant about a lab partner?
@Catkin (480)
Heh, well...sometimes I'm the one who knows nothing, but I try hard not to mess anything up. I have noticed, though, that any group I'm in tends to need to stay longer than most others or runs into problems/the wrong results mre often than we ought to. And none of it seems to be due to something one of use has done. o_O; Up until Tuesday, I didn't have any annoying lab partner rants, but now I do! I am in a different section of physics lab than last semester, so I've had to join a new group. I know both of them already, and get along fine with Andrea, but Thuan drives me nuts. He announced that he's usually the guy who sits around and does nothing, and proceeded to complain throughout the lab that being in a roup with girls was no fun. We'll see how next week goes, but if he doesn't get a bit less annoyng soon, I'm not going to be quite as polite about it!
@Pigglies (9340)
This class has been the first time where I've been the one who doesn't lead the group. I always end up as the group leader it seems. But wow, yeah that sucks when people are so lazy they just sit and do absolutely nothing! I hate that. I guess it still beats people who mess up constantly, but I'm happy to see people even trying. Even when I lead a group, we usually get out last. If I have to read the directions for the lab, it kind of sucks because I'm a slow reader. :(