Is it smart to switch or home from oil to electric or even gas?

@WebMann (4734)
We bought the house we have now just a year and a half ago and it's exactly what we want and the property is two lots. We even talked them down in price, so we are just so happy. The house is heated by oil and that system needs to be updated but we are not really sure what to do. The cost involved isn't an issue, it's just that we could make a change at this time if it would be beneficial to do so. We also live on the east coast of Canada and get plenty of time from Nov. through April we need heating. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
@judyt00 (3505)
I think you should look into going "off the grid" with wind and solar power The initial cost wouldbe a bit higher than the usual systems, but I think there's actaully a federal grant you could apply for to help defray the costs. And who knows? Since you live in a fairly windy area of the world, you may even be able to make money by selling electricity to the local hydro board.I'm in Alberta, and idf I ever move and build my own house, its definitely going to be solar and wind powered
@WebMann (4734)
I like the wind and solar idea. I will have to check and see what's involved and if I can it in the middle of our city. I have been thinking about grants and they have a grant for gas, otherwise I wouldn't have thought of gas in our area. Now there are some new grants available since our new government. I will have to check them out also. Thanks
I can see why you would want to switch, with the rising cost of oil. You could also look into getting a heat pump and keeping the oil as a back-up system. Heat pumps are efficent when the temperature is above freezing, but less so at colder temps. Of course you probably get more low temperature days then we do down here, so you would want to be careful. Good luck.
@manong05 (5031)
If I were you and you have the resources to update it, you might as well do it at this stage.