Classic: Book vs. Computer Question

@PinchMe (193)
Where do you see books after the next 100 years from now? Going on Strong! Fighting for survival with a cronic limp. or Make the dinosaurs look modern. What do you think?
I think E-books will rule next generation.
@JoyfulOne (6242)
I think in 100 years eBooks will be the forerunner. I don't think that hard copies of books will ever totally disappear though, too many of us like to keep copies of the books in our own little libraries at home. I also don't think libraries will ever go out of style either because there's nothing like holding a book in your hands and reading it at your own leisure.
I agree that real books will not dissappear completely. Look at what people collect from past times. Vinyl records are still doing well on the second hand market even after CD becoming the main format. Just because something can be up dated and produced easier dosnt mean that its always for the better. There is something asthetically pleasing about old books, the quality, the smell, the touch, that can never be duplicated by technology. On the other side of the argument, if e-books mean that school libraries become cheaper to maintain capable of holding and almost unlimited amount of books then I say bring on the technolofy.
@PinchMe (193)
While e-books are good in the ways of the advancement of technologies lets not forget about the haphazard effect of radiation and damage done to the eye and skin from long term exposure. Though I have no scientific data to back this up other than the verbal admonishsions from my superiors often warning not to stare too long or I may need glasses soon. Is this something we should all be concerned about?
@kiwimac (324)
• New Zealand
I don't think books will disappear at all. If you think about it, a book is lightweight, does not require batteries (unless you like reading at night!) does not run the risk of losing its contents in a power-failure. A book is a handy way of passing a story or information from one person to another that does not require special equipment (Computer / PDA / Electronic Book reader) to access. It can be stored long-term and given average attention to it's needs will be as good in 50 years as it is now. No, I don't believe that books will disappear, they are simply far too useful an item.
Let's not forget that books are way easier on the eyes than LCDs.