Parents of kids on the spectrum- you have any auto-immune problems?

Somebody on another forum brought up an interesting question, so I thought I'd ask it here. I have read many times that Autism is being studied by several doctors now as an "autoimmune" disease. I know that my son, who has Eczema (for example), is most likely to have Eczema if one of his parents has it, or has other allergic conditions. I don't have eczema, but I do have seasonal allergies. Also, I do have a weakened immune system in general. I have been suffering from some bizarre issues for the last 9 or so years now- the last time I received a "diagnosis", it was "Neuropathy".. however, the neuro just really has no idea what's going on. My mom has Multiple Sclerosis, she has siblings with other autoimmune issues, and then my dad's side of the family is chock full of people with problems as well. Who knows if in a round-a-bout way, I passed along a weakness that gave my son's body the ability to develop Autism (if one "develops" such a thing). I dunno.. interesting theory. So, do any of you parents of kids on the spectrum have issues?
@albert2412 (1782)
I do not believe autism is caused by an auto-immune response. When we get rid of vaccinations and the mercury preservatives in then then autism will be a thing of the past. So many thousands and thousands of other parents of autistic children feel the same way that I do. My son became autistic at age 12 after the vaccination.
Was it a booster shot at age 12? My kids are still young, but I'm trying to think of what shots they'll need at that age?
@rainbow (6763)
That's interesting, I have heard so many reasons why are children are gifted to be special. I have asthma and a lot of my side of the family have eczema,asthma or both, my uncle had eczema in a bandage everywhere type of way all his life, I get the occasional patch. My sons real dad was dyslexic which is apparently specturm related. My mum had heart defect and his biological grandfather had a heart opereation new valve or something I think. My favourite explanation at the is that sometimes mums and dads genes are incompatable and that's why you can have 1 mum and a child with and one without, just because they have different dads although I'm sure some mums must have ore than one non-compatable partner. My Pead told me it follows the fathers line, so we just keep getting stories and no real explanations. My psychic friend tells me they are the start of the next evolutionary link. Will we ever get a reasonable xplanation and will it help future families?
Did you know that according to studies, a link exists between eczema and asthma? One study found that 46% of boys and girls with asthma also had eczema. I have read this on many sites- I had no idea of this til recently, and it's quite disturbing, because many people on my dad's side of the family have asthma. I sure hope my son doesn't develop that!
@clownfish (3278)
Hi! I read in one of the books that if a parent has or has had an auto-immune disease, that can possibly cause autism. Well, my dad, my sister, and I have all had an auto-immune disease (years before I got pregnant). It was sarcoidosis. My dad and I have recovered, but my sister has a different type and has been chronically ill for about the past 8 years. Of course, the doctors tell us it's not hereditary, but it HAS to be. Otherwise, three of us from the same family should not have been affected. I think it's a valid theory. I will be interested to see what they say about it in the future. :-)
My psychiatrist refers to depression, ADHD, and Autism as 'affect disorders' and says they are all linked....so I guess me being clinically depressed, and having another child with ADHD ... there must be some kind of link. I did know that Astham and Exema were linked ... the third of that 'triangle' as Allergies .. the three are very often linked.