Green One Day...Brown the Next

I'm ticked. I try to purchase bananas when they are kind of green because we usually have one or two left at home. It seems like they are green one day and turning brown the next. Is there any way to keep them from turning brown so fast?
@crazynurse (7489)
The bananas turn from green to yellow to brown due to the ripening process. As the banana ripens the starch in the banana turns to sugar, therefore the riper the banana is the sweeter it will taste. Refrigeration will slow the ripening process. Warmer temperatures will hasten the ripening process. By storing in the refrigerator one can slow the ripening process. The skin will turn brown, but the fruit inside will be ripe and fresh .
oh, forgot to add that bananas can be frozen by peeling them and storing in a freezer bag. A touch of lemon juice will help prevent browness. This way, you can freeze the banana at the desired ripeness.
Do you have them next to rippening fruits? If they are close to other fruits that are ripe those fruits will make the bananas ripen faster.
@villageanne (8554)
I used to work in a produce dept and it depends on how they gas them. take them out of the plastic immediately that will make the gas work at a slower rate. you could also check with the produce manager to get some that they just received in.
@wmg2006 (5383)
Bananas - A bunch of bananas in the peel and one out.
This was happening to my Mother too. Her sister told her to wrap them in aluminum foil and put them in the refrigerator. The outside will turn dark but the inside will stay just right. She now does this and never has to eat another soggy over-riped banana again.
I think it must be different for everyone? Reading all these responses shows that different things work for different people. I put mine in a dark cupboard...it works for me. But don't put them on top of the fridge. It makes them turn brown so quickly. Now I just put them in the freezer right before they go bad and I use them in banana cookies.
@ronita34 (3923)
I think that the reason that they may be turning brown so quickly because they might be getting cold some how! Now i am not sure if you have cold winters where you ar but i know here we have cold winters and everytime i get bananas i have to keep them as warm as possible or they instantly go brown!
@sherinek (3323)
I wonder whether you put them in the fridge. If you do, dont. Keep it out. Bananas dont like cold. put it in a paper bag if where you live is naturally cold.
@minerc (1373)
yeah I have heard of putting them in the fridge to, the outside turns but the inside don't. You could always let them get ripper and make bananna nut bread.
@Polly1 (12648)
When your bananas start to turn brown, put them in the fridge. The skin will turn brown but the banana inside will still be good. Keep bananas in a cool place. Not in the fridge, except how I told you before. Bananas don't keep for very long. You can always use the over ripe bananas in cooking.
• Janesville, Wisconsin
If the if gets to cold in the fridge or on the way, that will cause them to turn black and rott, but if kept cool, and away from damp they usually last okay. - DNatureofDTrain