Do you ever wish libraries were open twenty-four hours in the U.S.?

I do. It makes me wish I could move to Japan sometimes..Their libraries are mostly open twenty four hours. I mean what the heck's the POINT of a library if their pool of knowledge isn't open at all hours for people to access it? What the point of closing at five o'clock when people only just then have time to get to the place but they can't? Yeah, some libraries are open til ten in the evening at best..but most of the ones I know close at five. But why?
@Willowlady (10666)
I do wish that libraries are open 24 hours. Small towns could be difficult however the larger cities and towns could do a good thing with being open 24 hours. However, they are funded by the government and the government has been giving less money to the libraries. Personally, I would like my tax dollars to go to the libraries and not the schools that do not help me in any way. In your case it is because of lack of money. Some also tailor the time to the schools.
• Marion, Kansas
I would love it. I would have some other times that are more convenient to read and search. Most nights our library is open until eight, one night until nine. Saturdays are an okay day, Sunday only open 2-5. I love to read. I will read lots of magazines there rather than collect them at home, and contribute to cutting down more trees.
Thanks for responding -- alot of publishing companies are using recycled paper these days, so I don't fuss too much over that..and besides the books are going to get printed anyway whether I buy them or not. But it doesn't matter since I'm always broke anyway lol..but the more support we give the libraries the better :) I'm so afraid the government'll just up and decide one day to get rid of them :(
I am not sure as to why U.S. libraries close so dang early. I think it's stupid because it leaves a lot of children out of using the library unless it's a weekend, because some parents work til 3 or 4 in the evening and by the time they get home get the child ready to go to the library it is already closed. A lot of times students need the library before the weekend, but when they need them they are closed, kind of makes it hard on everyone. So yeah I think libraries should be open at least til 9pm so that way the opportunity is available for everyone to use it.
Thanks for responding ^_^ I agree..there's plenty of money in the government, they COULD fund them a teensy bit more to hire people to work the 'later' hours. Instead of cutting money FROM the libraries.
@Bizziebod (3526)
I suspect that it's probably down to funding as to why they arn't open longer! Here in the UK they never seem to be open, but I must admit since I've been using the internet I haven't even been in a library as most research work can be done online and you can even read books online nowadays too!