How will you tell a friend she has a body odour?

United Arab Emirates
I knew one friend in the office. She is a family-woman, fat but pretty. She is friendly but she doesn't take showers for days and keep on wearing the same clothes. All of our officemates are talking behind her about her bad smell. Worst is, even her children adapt the same attitude towards hygiene. No one even me could bring ourselves to talk to her honestly about it, afraid that she'll be embarassed or what. What will I do?
@elisa812 (3033)
My aunt actually had the same problem with a woman she works with. The woman never showers enough and nobody wants to be around her. My aunt said that a lot of the workers got together and had a talk with their boss about the issue, and then the lady's boss pulled her aside and explained to her that it was unprofessional for her to come to work that way and that she would have to have better hygiene for work.
• United Arab Emirates
The thing is our boss wouldn't even want to tell her about the issue. He's kind of shy, he tells that she is a woman and we, women should be able to tell her better, not him.
@elisa812 (3033)
Oh dear, that's not good. I really do think that the boss should probably be the one responsible for that since it's unprofessional for her to come to work that way, but since he won't do it, maybe a small group of you could get together and try to come up with really nice way of talking to her about it in private? Of course you'd have to be careful to not make her feel like you're ganging up on her. I'm not sure what else to do. I'm pretty shy, so I would probably have a difficult time in that situation too! I hope you are able to get things cleared up!! Good luck!
@wolfie34 (26793)
By being very sensitive and not broadcasting it to everyone, taking your friend or colleague aside and in private and giving her a bag with deodorant inside and giving him/her a smile. Or ask them tactfully whether they would like to borrow your deodorant. It's never easy but they'd rather be told by a friend than the boss calling them into the office, I would be totally mortified if my boss called me to say I had bo problems and would be miffed why none of my close work colleagues hadn't told me.
• United Arab Emirates
That's the best suggestion I got so far. And I like your tact, and to be honest I think I can summon enough strength to do just like that. Or maybe I'll just wrap a present for her, with those things inside. Hmmm, I like your idea. Thank you so much and God bless!
@d_eagle (100)
may be you can approach her in a friendly way, and if your workmates are concern, you guys should talk to her, of course without offending her. but she will or might be offended but at least you did your job. but actually the problem is not how you say it but what will she do after you tell her, she might think that nothing is wrong with it, that's why the boss needs to take her post and talk to that lady.
• United Arab Emirates
Yeah, I'm also thinking what will happen after we talked with her? Will she ignore us or will she changed? But I'm wondering if even her relatives or close friends never really dared to say something about this.
well if se's having this kind of attitude towards hygiene then i tink she'll not be embarased at all.and anyways ..u can tell her in some jokes way in the way she'll not mind.so that she'll come to know abt the actual condition of her.
• United Arab Emirates
I think you're right, if she's been like this for ages, she must have no embarassment at all. But I still don't know even if I can manage to make a joke about it. Thanks!
@delina123 (2455)
I think I would come out and just tell her. She cant be working in an office smelling. Maybe the boss should be telling her but try to tell her in a nice way. I tell my 10 year old daughter all the time that she has to start wearing deorderent because I can smell her and I dont other kids to make fun of her and tell her she smell.I would tell a worker the same thing. I think she would feel bad that everyone could smell her and maybe that will change her ways and start keeping herself clean.