Migraine Headaches

@lisa101 (1363)
Do you know of any home remedy's to get rid of these terrible headaches. I have suffered from migraines for 7 yrs. now. I have no explanation for why they started. I have learned how to calm them down a little but im still looking for ways to get rid of them fast when they start. Do you know of any ideas for this suffering?
I'm in the same boat as you! I've learned to control/calm my migraines a bit, but I still haven't figured out the triggering factors. When I feel one coming on, I rub some peppermint essential oil on my temples and dab a tiny bit under my nose. The cooling oil is very soothing. If I'm at home and have time to lie down, I put a lavender sachet over my eyes and just relax. Sometimes my migraines cause nausea, in which case I eat some candied ginger and try and breathe slowly and deeply. If I'm really desperate, I take 600mg of ibprophen that the doctor prescribed. (She also prescribed Imitrex, but I haven't filled the prescription yet because the side effects sound worse than the migraines!) What works for you?
well indigestion precipitates the attack of this disease... so what u can do firstly is prevent indigesion.. even if u have not got indigestion u should drink 10-15 glasses of water and vomit it out... sounds weird isn't it? but trust me it works!! generally people having migraine are constipated and should be given laxation or should use more fibre in the diet!!
Imitrex shots scared me with the side effects at first, but when I had to use them, I did. Also, Zomig ZMT was really effective. My insurance no longer covers that, so I have to take Amerge, which helps, but not as fast as the migraine meds listed above.
@babyhar (1338)
I know what it's like to get migraines from time to time. It is not at all fun.. So I do understand what you are going through.. I know of a few home remedies that have worked for me every time that I have had a migraine so I will share them with you.. As well I will share with you home remedies that I have only heard that may help to work. And will hope that they will help you as much as they may have helped me at one time or another. Some of these home remedies that I could recommend would be: - I've heard that Yoga is a remedy that a lot of people use. And that by taking deep breaths when doing yoga can help out a great deal! - When I've gotten a migraine I will sometimes take an ice pack & wrap it in a towel. I've noticed that it had helped to calm down the affect of the migraine. Soften I guess you could say. So you could try something along these lines & see if it may work for you. - My doctor told me when I had gone to him one time & had asked about migraines.. That a cold shower sometimes can help. I was shocked when he had told me this.. Yes I know how it doesn't sound all to appealing. That's the exact thought I had at the time. He had told me that the cold water helps to relax the brain, well the endorphins in the brain. And that by doing this it eventually will help to relax the nerves but also the blood vessels that will help the pounding to stop causing the headache. I may have not explained it as well as him but it was something along those lines.. - I've also tried moistening a hand towel & then putting it in the microwave & then putting it on the back of my neck.. And then going & laying in a darker room.. That I personally.. Had found that by doing this it had helped a great deal.. You could try this I am not sure if it will help in anyway at all.. But you could try to see if it does/would! - Maybe try to take a warm bath with lavender oil & try to relax. Afterwards you could try rubbing a little bit of tea tree ointment or oil on your temples where the migraine may be located. I've heard that by doing this it helps to work wonders! - Make you are hydrated as well! Sometimes migraines are also a symptom of dehydration! These are some of the things I have heard but also tried.. I hope if you end up trying some of these that they end up helping you out a great deal.. Unless you've tried some of these already.. I wish you all the best. Maybe if you try some of these let me know if they ended up working for you. Thanks for allowing me to share! xx
A cold shower, huh? I would have never thought of that, but it seems like it could be a really effective treatment in the summertime. In the winter, I'll try the ice pack in a towel idea. Thanks!
I've suffered with migraines for 16 years and they never get less frequent. But I have noticed when the pain is really bad, if I get a tight tight headband (one of the stretchy kinds that goes all around the head) and put it around my forehead, that keeps the pain somewhat better. Also, if you put little drops of water up your nose, that can help - especially if it is a headache that started off as sinus, but now is full blown migraine. And while you are in a dark, cool room, get a sleep mask to help keep ALL light away. Best 6 bucks I ever spent. Good luck!