Are french fries from France? Is chop suey Chinese?

@polachicago (19073)
Here are some common but mistaken beliefs about food and eating. French fries are not from France. They were first made in Belgium in 1876. The term “french” refers to the way of cutting the potatoes before cooking. Chop suey was created in America by a Chinese cook who worked in a California mining camp in the 1800s. He stir-fried a variety of vegetables, called it tsa sui, Mandarin Chinese for “various things,” so people called it chop suey. The next time someone says you “eat like a pig,” take it as a compliment! Pigs don't overeat, and their diet is the closest to the human diet of any other animal. Cool off with ice cream? Wrong. Ice cream feels cool, but it is loaded with calories (units of heat) and actually makes your body warmer. Do you know any facts about food?
@korek222 (702)
• Poland
Buehehe :) Yep this is all true and useful - especially this part about eating as a pig :) And about ice creams making you feel warmer - it's not exactly true - calories are in all products you eat and our body uses them when it needs ( constantly) and it's no difference in usage since you eat much or less of them (you wont get warmer for eating calories) , they are used in more quntities when you are making sports or extremlly thinking. And if they are not used they are being taken to the "warehouse" and developed into fat :)
@polachicago (19073)
Well, I am not talking about eating ice cream after huge meal. I am not talking about eating habits of 2007, when people eat to much. :)
in connection with this issue , i'm wondering then if french bread is also originated from france?
@polachicago (19073)
Bread is a staple food in France. The typical loaf of French bread is called "une baguette", which means stick or wand. We better ask french people about "french bread".
@adidas7878 (2013)
those are intersting fact, here are something for you, most the chinese food in chinese restaurant is not real chinese food, you wouldnt find any of them in china. excpet the rice the only reason that they make it that way, is that people in the united state can eat them. do you think people would really able to handle some of the stuff they make over sea?
@polachicago (19073)
? I have no clue what they are serving in China. But any time I visit chinatown in Chicago, it looks like local Chineese eat the same food they serve. Maybe just because they live in states.
@polachicago (19073)
can't wait to hear it. I am wondering if they serve French food?
@polachicago (19073)
Lucky you, it is great city...
@kasia99 (104)
I know that first pizza was served to Italian Queen with 3 colors matching Italian flag. My mother was cooking "greek style fish", in fact this dish was invented in Poland and Greeks don't know this recepie.
@polachicago (19073)
Great information. Home made pizza is really good. :)
@polachicago (19073)
I just spoke with Greeks about "greek style fish", very funny.
@Idlewild (6094)
That explains wny Belgian fries are so good--they invented them. They serve them with a type of mayonnaise, though, not ketchup. I've had French cut green beans; never realized that's where French fries name came from.
@polachicago (19073)
I like to collect funny facts.
@Lydia1901 (16354)
Not that I can recall right now. But, thank you for sharing those, they're something alright.
@polachicago (19073)
Caesar Salad was created in 1906 in the United States, and named in honor of the Romans.
• Austria
Daesar salad was invented by Caesar Cardinian, an Italian, in Tijuana, Mexico in 1924.
• Austria
Caesar Salad was invented by Caesar Cardini, an Italian, in his restaurant in Tijuana, Mexico in 1924