Stephen King

By Raz
@razcal2267 (15577)
I love reading Stephen King's books but I have one little problem. It can take me over a month to read any of his books because I always end up falling asleep after reading 5 pages or less. Anyone else have this problem?
@sunshinecup (7882)
Not with Stephen King, LOL. I have gotten these self help books, and I have yet to make it through one. They work great for sleepless nights.
@wolfie34 (26881)
Yes most of his books are very thick and I am a slow reader so it does take me ages to read one book, so I am like you, it could take me a month to read one of his books. My favourite Stephen King story is Desperation, I love that book. I have to be in the mood for reading and if I can't sleep will read a book, it only takes a few pages before my eyes are closing too.
@razcal2267 (15577)
Thank you! I really was beginning to think that it was only me. I have not actually read Desperation yet but will be adding it to my list.
I love the King books too but have to admit his more recent attempts lack something for me. I haven't read anything new of his in quite some time.
@razcal2267 (15577)
I have not read any of the newer books either.
@emeraldisle (13158)
Most of his books that I've read I haven't had this problem. The Tommyknockers was bad and I had a hard time finishing it. I kept waiting for it to get better but it never did. Mostly it's his more recent books I couldn't get into like Bag of Bones, I think that was the title. I tried and tried but I finally just put it away because I couldn't get through it. The Stand, It, Carrie, Firestarter, Gerald's Game I didn't have a problem with but those other two forget it.
@villageanne (8579)
I do the same thing when I read in bed. As long as I am not laying in bed, I can read alot at one time. My body just thinks bed is for sleeping. LOL
@suscan (1959)
Stephen King - Press photo of Stephen King, author.
I love him, and I have been reading him for many years. he can be long winded sometimes,but he has a great imagination and he can write a good story.
I love is books to but they are really difficult to read. It takes me a long time to get through them. I have to keep going back to see if I can understand what's going on. He keeps going back and forth in his books. Like the he wrote called IT. It took me two months to finish it. I then watched the movie. It was a little easier to understand. LOL
@lilaclady (28270)
hmmm, I hate reading, I haver liked it but I might have to think about taking it up it mught just what I need for mt insomnia...or is it just Stephen King that does that to you...
@razcal2267 (15577)
For me it is only when I try to read a Stephen King book. It stinks because I really do like reading them it just takes forever.
I have that problem while reading any book because I read in bed. It is actually why I read in bed, good sleeping aid. But, it is not King's books that make me fall asleep, just reading in general. I have just finished The Dark Tower, a seven part series that King has put many long years into the making and FINALLY finished. I loved it! I usually do love his work. This is a great fantasy story, even though I must admit that I did become a bit angry at him for certain parts of the book. What is really cool about this series is that he wrote himself into the storyline. It was a very good series. The Stand is still my favorite book by King. One of the few that I have read over. I read it 3 times, and will probably read it again sometime.
@missyd79 (3442)
I tried reading stephen king's books but i just can't follow them, so i will just stick with his movies.
@Debs_place (10551)
One of my favorite Steven King books is 'The Stand' followed closely by 'It' I hate the 'Dark Tower' books, those put me to sleep, the rest of his tend to induce sleeplessness.
If I had the time, I could go through Stephen King in one day. But between employment and housework, it's hard to find the time. The only problem I have is with some of his darker stuff. I'll read for a while and then need to take a break because I feel dirty and sick for enjoying the story.
@posterBOY (116)
Stephen King is one of my favorite authors. When I first took him up, his style took some getting used to and it's very unique. Whenever I get my hands on a copy of his most recent work, I can keep on til the wee hours of the morning. I always relish the experience of reading through his stories and it always seems sad when I finally finish, though I'm left with a most satisfying feeling.
I have the opposite problem I love Stephen King and I cannot put the darn books down I already have bad insomnia problems and then if I get into a book its over I am not quitting unless I absolutely have too.
@ebfh2006 (179)
I love Stephen King. His books don't put me to sleep unless I am already tired.
@samsonskola (3357)
actually, his books are the only ones that DONT put me to sleep...i stay so into the book that i can read for hours and not realize it!..I have always loved his books, i think this is one of the reasons why!
@sylviekitty (2084)
This almost never happens to me with Stephen King, unless I'm really freakin' exhausted!! I LOVE his novels, and they're usually so interesting, that I have to force myself to go to sleep! :)
@raenie (707)
I have only read one Stephen King book in my entire life & that's "Desperation". Bad choice, I guess.I do agree with you that his books are pretty lengthy--but being a bookworm as I am, I tried to read it overnight since I was expecting more from the book (since he's pretty popular & movies from his books as well so I tried to give it a try). Boy was I up for a MAJOR disappointment =(. The storyline wasn't much & didn't exactly scare me or anything, not to mention pretty dragging...Sorry Stephen King fans, but reading that particular book of his just succeeded in making me steer clear of his books for a while. I really thought that novel was a major waste of my time... or maybe I should've read a different book of his ;)...
@ausnikki (4089)
• Brisbane, Australia
Rose madder by Stephen King a great read - Rose madder by Stephen King a great read,this book will never put you to sleep.
I am a huge Stephen King fan,I can read one of his books in a couple of days.If you want a good one to read my favourite is Rose madder,you should try it.I am currently reading his new book Lisey's story.
@jricbt (1455)
• Brazil
I like his books also. But funny thing I just can't read anything from the Dark Tower series, I just don't like it at all. And I tried to like it.