Facts about autism and mercury?

Mercury - Image of a drop of mercury
For THOSE of you educated about autism, do you think that mercury causes autism? I am unsure about this. My children's doctor did his residency at a hospital near where there were Amish people. Amish people do not vaccinate. The ratio of children with autism was equal in and out of the vaccianted children. Yet, there's so much compelling "evidence". Maybe some children are predisposed to being effected by the mercury. Does anyone really know?
@albert2412 (1782)
Since my son became autistic at age 12 soon after receiving thee MMR vaccination, I am very biased against mercury. Mercury is used as a preservative in so many vaccines. My used to talk and smile and be happy before the MMR shot, and now he does not talk and is autistic. Yes, I really do think that we know the cause of autism.
@clownfish (3277)
Hi! While I certainly understand why you feel that way, there is still no conclusive proof. It might and it might not. That's all they know.
My son smiled and talked and interacted until he wa abut 18 months old, too. But it was not a mercury shot that caused his Autism symptoms to worsen at that age, because he didn't have one for another 6 months. As the original poster said, the Autism rates and symptom onset are no different in communities that do not immunize. If mercury caused Autism, we would see that communities that do not immunize woudl have drastically different rates of Autism.
Hi, on my MySpace, I received a bulleting about autism and metals in our systems. It had to do with how some people's bodies seem to detox and how others seem to not. I don't understand it totally. It also lead to a different discussion that maybe Alzheimer's is the effect of metals, failed to detox, it older adult's bodies. It's worth looking in to. But, I believe it has not yet been proven.
@clownfish (3277)
Hi! All they "really know" is that it can't be confirmed that the mercury in vaccinations causes autism or not. Some people think it does, but the general consensus is that it doesn't. If you look at autism from the point of view that the brain is "wired differently" and people with autism don't process information the same way we do, it's hard to think that this didn't occur from birth. Also, since there is no cure for autism, I'm inclined to think it occurs from birth and is not caused by any other factor. That's what I know from the research I've read. For me, it doesn't really matter what caused my daughter's autism. The fact is that she has it and she wouldn't be the same little girl without it, so I have made my peace with it. :-)
Hi Clownfish, Thanks for what you wrote. I agree with what you've said; I've basically heard the same info. too. I look at my gentetics (anxiety, some OCD, some depression), and my husband (probably would have been diagnosed w/ADD or ADHD as a child. So, for us, I think it's mostly due to genetics. Ever hear of the Silicone Valley Syndrome? But, you're definitely right. If our children have autism, they have it. Aside from God (continual prayers), and therapies there's not much else that can be done. But, I'm grateful for what we have in this time as far as therpy is concerned.
@clownfish (3277)
Oh, yes! And early intervention is as important as they say it is! I should mention that my hubby and I went through denial and not wanting to accept it, but when we finally did, it was a weight off our shoulders! We got our daughter tested and into a wonderful developmental preschool. We cannot believe the changes we have seen in her during the past year! She talks - until your ears fall off LOL - and she doesn't have meltdowns anymore (not like she used to) and her sensory issues are decreasing. The past few weeks I've noticed her eating food she's never had before without saying, "I don't like that," first. She will always have her issues, but we are more convinced than ever that she will probably lead a normal life now. :-) And that is by the grace of God! :-)
Remember that research can be 'interpreted' to support pretty much anythign you want it to. You have to look at how valid the reserach is, and how many independant studies have been done that find the same results ... and in the case of Mercury causing Autism, there really is no conclusive evidence for that. For my son, he was very different from the day he was born - and I am 100% sure that he woudl be autistic even if we had not vaccinated.
@clownfish (3277)
Hi! That's exactly how I feel. My daughter had sensory issues from the start. Of course, I didn't know what it was then, it was just a very hard time for her and us. My mom knew that something was different about her. I doubt that the vaccinations caused anything. Besides, I think by the time she was vaccinated, the mercury had been removed from the vaccines, but don't quote me on that, I'm not 100% sure. :-)
My son had sensory issues too. He reacted so much to his enironment that he was admitted back to the hospital less than 24 horus after we got home - the doctor had come for a home visit and was alarmed by the baby's speeding heart rate, thinking it might be a sign of infection. They did a whole load of tests, and found out there was no infection - he was just 'an intense baby'. I guess they coudlnt say then 'this may be a sign of a neurological problme later' but I suspect they knew.