Does Poor Spelling/ Slang Turn You Off To Responding To A Post?

dictionary - A human's best friend.
@freak369 (4974)
I am not talking about the ocassional typo here and there, I am talking about this:"waz up, i wuz at da mal and went in2 tis sture and got dis cd and it was rad man, wht u tink bout there muzik?"Before anyone goes off on a rant, I am not talking about people that don'r speak English, I'm talking about people who just don't care about what they post or how they spell. I have to assume that there is no spell check program on MyLot that highlights possible errors before you post. Likewise, I guess there is no way to edit a post if you catch an error. So let's hear it! Do you ever respond to posts that are poorly written and if you do, do you ever mention in in your reply?
@kelly60 (4548)
That really irritates me too. I don't mind so much when it is someone who is unfamiliar with the English language. They at least have an excuse for it, but those of us who speak English have no excuse. When I write a review for Epinions I type it first in Microsoft Word, and do a spell check there, then copy and paste it onto Epinions. I do think that MyLot should have some sort of spell check or a way to edit your posts since we can't copy and past from another program that has a way to spell check it for us.
@freak369 (4974)
At the very least, some way to edit or delete a post. I ran into a problem with my Clerks port; I added a picutre to it and it ran all the sentences together instead of having the quotes on a different line. Irritating! And a spell check, even if it is something basic, w2ould really be a huge help!!!
@kelly60 (4548)
You're right, a spell check would help so much. I can't tell you how many times I have typed something wrong and not noticed until after I posted it, but then it was too late.
yes, yes and yes! It drives me absolutely crazy when people expect us to translate their posts from some strange text message slang. Practice your typing and write out real words, for goodness sake! I avoid posts like that completely, I figure if a person can't type a decent sentence, they aren't worth have a discussion with.
@freak369 (4974)
I will never say that I am the best speller, I still have to sit there and say "I before E except after C" when I type out words like receive and believe .. LOL
@vivasuzi (4125)
I totally agree. But then again, I was never into that slang even when I was a teen, and I freaked out when my friend used to use it! What gets me, is these people act like typing in slang like that is easier or quicker, but really it probably takes longer to type and longer to read!
@Bizziebod (3526)
Hi freak369, I'm quite a pain when it comes to spelling, I do try to spell accurately as best as I can and usually find fault with someone's spelling (sorry I am a secretary - oh and not without fault!) I do get annoyed when people type in their text language and I always try not to fall in this habit myself. I usually don't bother replying to anybody who hasn't made an effort to think of a decent discussion. I do think that mylot should offer some kind of spell check especially as it encourages non English speaking people to take part.
@freak369 (4974)
Since you are a secretary I am sure that you crince when you read this .. "I don't care weather you like it or not" Oh my, it's WHETHER not WEATHER ... lol
I usually never respond to posts that are poorly written in terms of persistent mistakes in spelling, and the slang-ish writing style. Not because I discriminate but for the main reason that I couldn't understand what the discussion was all about. It's hard to post a reply to such because I may be giving a wrong reply which won't help the one who posted the discussion anyway. It would just be a waste of time.
I am with you ag_abscruzmd, If you can't understand the discussion how are you supposed to respond to it. It's not discrimination is is just a case of not understanding. I don't respond because of the same reason.
@hcromer (2712)
If a post is written really poorly like you mentioned, I will not reply to it because someone told me that replying to poorly rated posts brings down your rating. I can't stand it when people always type as if they are sending a text message to their closest friend.
Yes, I 100% have to say that I am turned off by posts that are not only hard to read, but don't make a whole lot of sense. There are a lot of people here who don't seem to care what people think of their writing styles, but I guess the site is intended to breed conversation rather than develop writing skills. I often find myself logging off for a while due the frustration of some other user not writing clearly in their own discussion.
If it seems to be an honest mistake, I don't let it bother me. I've had enough typos/grammar errors, etc. myself to be forgiving. But if it's simply blatant disregard for the English language I do not reply, ever.
@rusty2rusty (6767)
• Defiance, Ohio
When people post the way you have given an example. Yes, it does bother me. I do tend to avoid those types of people. As I can't understand have of what they say. But if it is just a type. Or someone typing real fast and mess on their spacing sometimes. Than no. It doesn't bother me. Now if the person is not from the USA and I can figure out what they are trying to say. Than no that doesn't bother me either. It's the ones who do it deliberately. No, My Lot does not have a spell check. Nor does it let you go back an edit a post. I wish I was able to edit a post. I always read my posts before I post them. But I don't always catch my mistakes til after it is posted. Or someone kindly points it out.
@freak369 (4974)
Same here, it really irks me when I post something and THEN catch the mistake. I don't have a problem with the ocassional typo, it's the text talk that makes me shake my head.
@ctinabina (386)
I completely agree. I don't even bother to read posts- or anything else for that matter- written in "shorthand" style. For crying out loud, how hard is it to type out "you?" It drives me nuts. Spelling errors and grammatical errors I forgive more readily. But not texting style. No, nay, never!
@freak369 (4974)
so wht r u saying here? LOL I couldn't resist!
I agree, and not just here but anywhere i read that. I understand it's popular in the IM world because it's faster tot type, but to me it's a courtesy for those who will have to read what you have written that you manage to use proper spelling and grammar. I just wonder with all these people who are getting used to writing this way, especially kids, how will they manage when they have tow rite the way the rest of the world wants?
@freak369 (4974)
I too wonder how this carries over to other things, when I am texting I use 'ur' instead of you are, '2day' instead of today - just because it saves me time. Can you imagine seeing some of these posts at Epinions LOLOLOL
@mipen2006 (5528)
Once I see a discussion starts in this manner, I move on. I knowthere are many members who have English as a second language, but they are easy to identify, and I always respond to them if Ihave something useful to contribute. The others - NO WAY.
@emquinsat (1059)
I don't really get turned off by it. Although it's really so hard for me to read them. So i very seldom reply to those type of discussions.
If it is a person from another country and the words and spelling are incorrect, I could care less. I applaud them for speaking our language as well as they do. In fact it makes me want to respond and speak and write as well as possible. But, just the same as you, if it is in the form of text or instant message speak, it really turns me off and I rarely respond. Why should I take my time to answer a question that the poster didn't have the time to post? This is one of my pet peeves ~Donna
@freak369 (4974)
That's exactly what I am talking about, if people are from another country then I don't have a problem with it but not care how you spell ... that really irks me
Grammar is one of my pet peeves. If someone is from another country that doesn't speak English very well, I give them more leeway, but if it's an English speaking person that talks like WuTZ u WaNz WIt dem BoiZ... then forget it. I won't answer. My little sister writes everything like that and I keep trying to tell her how unintelligent it makes her look but she doesn't seem to care.
@abroji (3247)
I agree with you. When we read something we should get the idea conveyed. The type of language as the one you pointed out in the post is totally unacceptable for me. So I am constrained to ignore them. A language should be preserved in a proper way for future generations. It would be fair if everybody use English in a more conventional manner. In the case of spelling I am below average I think. I always want to be perfect with my spelling, but the unavailability of spell check facility in myLot prevents me attaining that perfection here. I hope they will look into this issue. By the way I am a non-English speaking person from India.
@DocterDew (902)
Not all that much I just respond and also give them a negative ratings if it's really THAT bad.
@dusty1020 (174)
soooo annoying. people dont even try and its like flaunting their ignorance. i guess its the "kewl" thing to do but yeah i'd say its a major turn off from responding to a posting even if its interesting. i just imagine the person on the other end of the post being some total ignoramus and have no desire to communicate with them.
@Shaun72 (15968)
• Palatka, Florida
yeah espically when they post stuff like 4u and 2 b I mean I know what they mean but I want real words not letters and numbers.
@runsgame (2033)
of course, poor spelling mistakes are acceptable one but the usage of slang words or words which are having two or many meanings inside and particularly aimed for affected a particular section of the society is not at all to be allowed. it will give irritation too to the user who are responding to the same
@hezoid (2148)
Yes, it does! There's just no excuse for not using proper English if you are cable of doing so, and also i find that no only does that kind of typing confusing English-speakers but it must really confuse non-English speakers which i imagine there are a lot of on here. I think it's lazy and rude to use poor/wrong spelling, slang and text speak if you are doing it on purpose. If you have the odd typos, aren't that great a speller or your first language isn't english then fair enough, i've no problem with that, and remember there's no way of editing typos etc out either.