Are you a compulsive hoarder?

I used to keep TONS of old letters, books, cassettes, etc, etc, etc. I would have rooms full of stuff/junk (depending on how you look at it!). I'm such a sentimental soul and seem to want to hold on to every memory, everything that reminds me of something. But in my quest to not turn into a compulsive hoarder, I've gotten rid of A LOT of stuff. If I have some clothes hanging in my closet untouched for more than 5 years, I probably don't need it. I try to spring clean every few months. Our house is not very big and we don't have a lot of space which may be a good thing cos' the more space I have, the more justified I will feel having so much stuff in the house. I know some people who are extreme though. They will keep every single thing and have junk up to the ceiling! Are you a hoarder? What do you hoard?
My mother is the grand hoarder of all! She still has her teenage scrapbooks and old books. She didn't throw our elementary and highschool books. Even her empty perfume bottles and clothes of yesteryears are still in her closet. I sort of inherited her 'hoarding' trait. I still have my diary from elementary days (with pieces of hair that I cut off from myself and taped in). Geez! I only started throwing out my old books last year because we're running out of space. It took me months to sort everything out. I started going back to memory lane (what could be sicker than that?), listening to the old 45's and long-playing albums (yes, we still have an old stereo to play those things), reading old letters, and so on..
Thanks for choosing mine as the "best response"! Truly appreciate it.
@AyaMiami (96)
I like bath and body products and I tend to hoard them. I enjoy the scents and have a hard time just using it and enjoying it. I always think it's going to suck when the product is gone. My resolution this year was to use my goodies and enjoy them.
@fujin1985 (684)
I am an utter compulsive hoarder too. I keep lots of sentimental things from souvenirs from past vacations to little trinkets given by friends. Even receipts from once-in-a-blue-moon gathering are kept in my memento box! I haven't tried selling those yet though I have plans, but the letters and cards shall be kept still in my shoe boxes. There's no way I can throw those up!
@Sasselle (698)
Yes I am a shocking hoarder ... well i'm trying to kick the habit but it's hard. I'm not an extreme one but I can't help but hold onto stuff "just in case" i need it again in the future. Probably the best thing to ever happen to me hoarding wise was moving house and having to intrim live with the in-laws [well that wasnt' the best thing ...] but because of that all our stuff had to go into storage. So I threw so much stuff i'd been hoarding out and sold a lot of things on eBay. Then when we moved I did another big clean out while i was putting things into bedrooms ... and then another clean before my son was born.
I know many people who have that "just in case" mentality. I used to think the same way too about a lot of stuff but nowadays, I'm more willing to "let go". I try to following some basic organization techniques and stick to them.
Same here. I kept all my Christmas cards, birthday cards, computer magazine, utility bills, bank statements (becuase I think they will be useful someday) and expired credit cards.
Expired credit cards? hahaha! That's a new one. I shred mine straight away cos' I don't want to confuse it with my new card.
I'm working on a documentary about hoarding for the Discovery Health network, and we're looking for families who deal with hoarding nationwide. Would you be interested in telling your story on TV? If so, please e-mail your story to discoveryhoarders@yahoo.com. Not sure if you still check your blog or not... Thanks!
yes. me and my hubby are both pack rats but i think he is worse. he keeps big stuff that we have no room for , i hoarde magazines and books. I also keep fabric for ever too i keep thinking i will sew something out of it. Ha !@!
@Theresam (1181)
I really try not to hord much but my husband is such a pack rat that it drives me crazy. I try to declutter as much as possible-atleast once a week the 27 fling boogie that I learned from the flylady.
@saundyl (9693)
I'm a bit of a hoarder. I hoard books and craft projects BUT i dont have problems getting rid of things. There are things i would love to throw in a garage sale that I have to wait til my dad goes back to work to have. He's a hoarder he keeps everything broken, new old used cause they might need it again someday. I'm sure i would be a hoarder if it wasnt for my mom's influence. She doesnt keep things that are broken or unused...unless dad catches her tossing it and has a cow. One major thing that made me stop hoarding was when my dads mom passed away..she was a hoarder and cleaning out her house was a terribly big job to do. It made me go omg i dont ever want to have to pack that much stuff up again!
@wmg2006 (5386)
Well I never was in the past, but over the years I tend to be. I still have my 19 year old sons first toys. I try to have a garage sale and sell these things and some I do, but then I accumulate even more over time. I think right now I am hoarding computers! Everyone give me their computer when they are done with them. I have a plan but never get around to it.