Mashed Garlic Cauliflower

By Raz
@razcal2267 (15577)
I love garlic mashed potatoes but I needed a change and my mom suggested that I try and replace the potatoes with cauliflower. Honestly, I thought she was crazy. So I searched for a recipe and did not really find one that I liked so here is what I do: I get the ingredient together 1 head cauliflower, leaves removed about 2 tablespoons of butter 2 or 3 garlic cloves, pressed salt and pepper to taste Completely remove the leaves and trim the stem. Rinse, put in a bowl and, wrap in plastic wrap. Microwave for about 10 minutes or until soft. Place in a large bowl, add the butter, and salt and pepper to taste. Then mash away just like you would potatoes.
@sunshinecup (7882)
I have tried that before, just didn't do it for me. I reckon I am just a potatoe girl, or nothing, LOL Have you tried it yet and what did you think?
@razcal2267 (15577)
Yes I have tried it. I do not share anything that I have not tried at least once. I did not say it would taste exactly like potatoes but it does hit the spot in the same way for me. Not everyone likes the same things.
I've heard the "low carbers" do this... but I've wondered if it really is good. So you think it's comparible to mashed potatoes?
@razcal2267 (15577)
The only way I can really describe the difference is turkey burgers to beef burgers. As long as you do not expect it to taste exactly the same you will not be disappointed. I hope that helps explain it to you
@brokentia (10396)
I was really happy with my results. But I also bake mine with cheese thrown on top of it. So, it acts as a twice baked potato. No, it does not taste the exact as potatoes. But if one is not allowed to have potatoes like me...it is great!!!
@rsmith512 (1561)
I tried my moms Cauliflower mashed potatoes. I was happy with results as well, and especially since she couldn't have mashed potatoes...this was great. The only difference was that it was just a little but more grainy. That is all. It tasted like mashed potatoes to me!!! And, I can have REAL mashed potatoes!! LOL
@rsmith512 (1561)
I have heard of this before. We called it Faux Mashed Potatoes...because that is essentially what it is! haha :D But, I have never tried it with garlic cloves. Just butter, salt, and Cheese!! :)
@razcal2267 (15577)
I love garlic in my mashed potatoes so I had to make this recipe with garlic
@crazynurse (7510)
Weight watcher members have been doing this one for years! Isn't it amazing how much the mashed cauliflower tastes like mashed potatos?! And for those on weight watchers...point free! (if you use a few sprays of liquid butter rather than an lot of butter)Many say that they are able to get their children to eat cauliflower this way! I love this recipe! Thanks for reminding me! Off to the store to get some cauliflower.
@razcal2267 (15577)
Thank you for adding that extra health conscious tip about the liquid butter
@Debs_place (10551)
Cauliflower is the forgotten vegetable. I use frequently when I make soup, I will cook it then pulverize it in a blender. It makes a nice thick base. Then I will add other vegetables or meats to it.. When I have a party and sereve raw veggies, I always end up with a ton of brocollli and cauliflower left. I do the cauliflowe r as above, then chop up the broccolli and cook it in there, throw in some chicken boillion cubes and some other spices and it is a nice creamy soup.
@razcal2267 (15577)
Another creamy soup recipe to add to my list :) Thank you
it's great! but i still like cauliflower or brocolli to be fresh & crunchy eaten.... or the stir fried recipe as a side dish food.
@razcal2267 (15577)
I like cauliflower that way also
@lauriefnp (5113)
My Mother has done this because she tries to eat low carbs. It sounds really good. I love cauliflower, and it's actually better for you than potatoes, as far as sugars and carbs go. I'm going to give it a try. Thanks!
@razcal2267 (15577)
I absolutely love this and I am not a big cauliflower fan.
@Eisenherz (2912)
• Portugal
Hey, thanks for the wonderful recipe. It looks really tempting and makes me want to cook it one of these days...as a matter of fact, I'll go and add it to my "to cook" list, cheers for sharing!
@sweetlady10 (3620)
I never tried this one, actually I never heard of this. As a vegetable I like cauliflower, may be I will like this dish too. So, I am going to give myself a chance :). Thanks for the recipe.
@shaz6611 (951)
I work in a child care centre and we have a cook that makes all the lunches and mashed cauliflower was on the menu yesterday. I had never tried mashed cauliflower before and my initial thought was ewwwwwwwwwww yuck! But I was game and I tried some and it really wasn't that bad. Think I might have to try it with some butter and garlic, maybe the kids will even like it.
@mcmomss (2601)
I'll have to try that. I'm on a high fiber diet and am supposed to be eating a lot of vegetables. Cauliflower is not one of my favorites, but it sound good doing it your way. Maybe I could even get my kids to eat it if it looks like mashed potatoes. Thanks for the info.
@razcal2267 (15577)
You are welcome. I hope that you and your children find it tasty
@pyadiki (306)
wow it seems to be a nece recepi, i think i will definately try it out. and i also love the garlics , potato and even cauliflower, these are alwasy my favourite vegetables and i love to eat any dishes made of using these or any one of these above said vegetables. thank u.
Well, I think I'll try it with potatoes as well - both of them = potatoes n cauliflower - boiled and mashed - along with mashed garlic - and I think I wud add sum ginger paste too to it... Lets see wat it turns out to be...
@brokentia (10396)
I have actually done this! Faux mashed potatoes using cauliflower. But I do not see how it would get soft just by placing it in the microwave without any water. Have you tried this? I have always cooked mine on the stove like boiling potatoes. But if this works, it would take far less time. If you haven't tried it, you really should. I is really good! And if you like grits, you can do the same thing but just add butter and salt and it is awesome! Great with eggs in the morning. But I am really interested is you are able to do this in the microwave without water to soften the cauliflower!!! :)
@razcal2267 (15577)
I just put it o a plate then cover with plastic wrap before putting it into the microwave. My mom always adds a bit of water but I never seemed to need to.
I just did it the way you said, and honey, it is really great. Thanks so much for sharing that with us.
@rubypatson (1842)
Hey i will try this out thanks for the recipe
@manmaxman (850)
i donthave any idea about this that garlic will be replaced by cauliflower
@dixie1 (1330)
HI, I love garlic and your recipe sounds delish! Thanks For sharing!
@SignMe (1031)
Wow. That is a wondeful recipe you shared. Thank you. I hope I enjoy that too some time :)
@sahira (1072)
My mother fried cauliflower with garlic,onions and eggs..with spicy seasoning and it's so deliceous,we ate it with hot white rice.