Psalm 78:2-4

@BunGirl (2639)
"I will open my mouth in a parable; I will utter dark sayings of old, which we have heard and known, and our fathers have told us. We will not hide them from their children, telling to the generation to come the praises of Jehovah, and his strength, and his wondrous works that he hath done." (ASV) Memory is a fickle thing. People don't remember things for long, unless they have some way of being reminded. Do you remember your first grade teacher? I mean really remember her? Can you picture her in your mind? Most people do not. If they do, it's only because of a photo or because they have seen her more recently than when she taught them to read and write. In the same way, it is easy for Christians to forget the good things God has done for them. This is why, throughout the old testament, God instructed His people in ways of remembering. When He made a covenant with Noah never to flood the earth again, he set a rainbow in the sky: "And the bow shall be in the cloud; and I will look upon it, that I may remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is upon the earth." (Genesis 9:16 ASV) When He brought Israel out of bondage, Moses gave the people a way of remembering their deliverance: "And Moses said unto the people, Remember this day, in which ye came out from Egypt, out of the house of bondage; for by strength of hand Jehovah brought you out from this place: there shall no leavened bread be eaten." (Exodus 13:3 ASV) And when the Ark of the Covenant crossed the Jordan, God instructed his people to set a memorial there as well: "then ye shall say unto them, Because the waters of the Jordan were cut off before the ark of the covenant of Jehovah; when it passed over the Jordan, the waters of the Jordan were cut off: and these stones shall be for a memorial unto the children of Israel for ever." (Joshua 4:7 ASV) I believe that in these passages (and many others) God is setting before us a standard. He wants us to remember the things He has done, and He knows that we will need memorials to do this. Modern day memorials may be quite a bit different than those of the Bible, but they are every bit as important. We should find a way of remembering the good things God has done, so that we can hold on to them when we pass through trials. Often a photograph or a journal entry can remind us. Some scrapbook their memories, while others may hold onto specific items that remind them. How do you remember God's good works in your life?
@lucy02 (5017)
We studied this recently in Sunday School and discipleship training. It was something I hadn't thought about before but should because my memory is terrible. I thank God for the wonderful things he has done in my life every night. This helps me keep it fresh in my memory but I should also keep a journal. I have thought about this but just haven't done it yet.
@BunGirl (2639)
No time like the present to start! Really though, a journal can be an amazing source of hope in times of trouble. Personally, I use a scrapbook to record such things, and when it seems like the world is crashing down around me, all I have to do is open it and remember that God has never let me down before, so He won't now either.
I am walking my life the Christian way in the Holy Bible. God is not separate from me. God is always with me and He has never forsaken me. All my life is God. For a moment, God may not be on my mind but it's just a flash of time. I pray that I would not at all fall from the hand of God. I hope that I will not stumble even if the road to Him is intentionally made narrow and rough that only few people could go through. I pray to God in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ to allow me to be one of those few who could enter the kingdom of God.