What is the best museum you've ever visited?

I love them, from quaint small-town museums to the ones that take up city blocks. My top five are: 5) The Salvador Dali museum in Paris (very intimate and fun) 4) The Victoria and Albert in London (Huge variety) 3) The Dallas Museum of Art (for purely sentimental reasons although it's not bad) 2) The Smithsonian in Washington DC (although calling it one is kind of cheating) 1) The Louvre in Paris (The ultimate art musuem) Museums I haven't seen but would love to are the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam, the Museum of Modern Art in New York and the Guggenheim also in New York. I didn't mean for this to be all about art museums, but I guess it's apparent those are the ones I like best. But like I said, I love all kinds.
I haven't been to many museums and not to any of the ones you mention. Except with Sister Wendy, to see the highlights of a few of them, she is a great guide. Speaking of small quaint museums, or maybe quirky would be a better description, I went to the Salt and Pepper museum in Gatlinburg Tennessee with a friend. We were looking for something different for a girls day out and that was different. What was most fun was how many of the old shakers looked familiar and reminded us of aunt's kitchens or restaurants we had visited in childhood. But that is probably not what you had in mind as a museum.
Actually I did! I love those little museums. It's hard to even try to compare them to something as magnificent as the Louvre. It's really an unfair comparison. But it's fascinating to me to go into those little places where someone is so passionate about something so specific that they went to the trouble to make a museum for it. And they can definitely evoke some great nostalgia, like you mentioned. That's a wonderful thing.
@bsabers (668)
I've visited this river and stream museum, and it's great and has lots of great displays and aquariums with lots of fish and wildlife.
Those can be so cool! We have one near where I live but it isn't very good. They don't have enough stuff, but I've gone to others that were great.