Is anemia curable? I know some people who have it all their lives

@LittleMel (14055)
I just found out I have it 5 yrs ago. How to cure it faster?
@ilse72 (1453)
Whether or not anemia can be cured depends on the type of anemia. Since there are over 400 types, most rare, there is no way I can list them all but I will cover a few. First let me explain that the red blood cells in our body contain hemoglobin and hemoglobin carry oxygen. Anemia can occur when the RBCs (red blood cells) or the hemoglobin are affected. IDA...iron deficiency anemia is the most common and affects the hemoglobin. Yes, it is curable. The most common cause is a poor diet but you can also get it from blood loss. The cure is to improve the diet and add iron rich foods as well as iron tablets. In the case of blood loss, a transfusion may be needed. Vitamin deficiency anemia (megaloblastic)is due to not enough vitamin B or folic acid. In this case, RBCs are produced but oxygen is not carried well. This is easily cured with folic acid pills (iron supplements). Certain diseases can also cause anemia. The diseases cause problems with the body's ability to make red blood cells. Kidney disease is a prime example. Dialysis removes iron from the body and also inhibits the kidney's ability to create the hormones needed to make red blood cells. Inherited blood diseases can cause anemia and can't be cured. Examples of this would be thalassemia or sickle cell. Aplastic anemia is when the body can't produce enough red blood cells. Unfortunately, this particular anemia also affects the white cells. Causes of aplastic anemia are toxic substances, chemotherapy, radiation therapy, lupus and bone marrow disorders. This is also not curable. While not all anemias can be cured, they can all be treated to make it easier for a patient to handle the symptoms. All anemias require the attention of a doctor who will tell you whether or not it can be cured and also tell you the best course of treatment to follow. I'm an R.N.
@LittleMel (14055)
OH God thank you very much! I got dizzy reading too many books about anemia. My doctor said that since he doesn't see unusual affect it has on my body, he only advised me to take enough rest and eat healthy. I'm just curious about it. Thanks for the explanation, now I know which topic to read.
@LittleMel (14055)
I got the iron tablets. Thanks for your tips!
@ilse72 (1453)
Thanks for the best response!
@ukchriss (2103)
Anemia can be caused by lack of vitamins and minerals. When you get anemia you become very tired, weak and will probably not be able to think or work well. However, most anemias are curable. Taking vitamins and eating good food will help to treat anemia. Taking good care of yourself makes you avoid anemia in the first place. But there is one kind of anemia that is very difficult - if not impossible - to cure. That is hemolytic anemia.
@LittleMel (14055)
Now I'm paying more attention to my health, I start taking supplements and enough rest. Thanks for the tips!
@davipiero (178)
Depends of the cause? if it is inherited = non-curable but controlable if it is acquired = curable
@LittleMel (14055)
I see. I think mine is inherited. I had to take iron pills when I was young.
@LittleMel (14055)
need to add: or else I would faint if standing too long so yea I guess it is inherited only I never actually had a doctor that told me it was anemia until some years ago
You faint if you stand too long? Do you have low blood pressure?
I believe some types of anemia is curable..you must really watch what you eat..and try to eat green vegetables..particularly dark green leafy vegetables..Some people take a b12 shot to help boost their blood;)+
@LittleMel (14055)
B12? OK I'll add that to my list of vitamins
B12 helps you body create new blood cells and gives you a boost of energy..since anemia tends to drain you of energy and you bloods cells are low;)+|
@LittleMel (14055)
OK this sounds like what I need the most. thanks!
it is not so big problem.. it can be cured my proper diet control one thing must be checked patient shouldnot have worms
@LittleMel (14055)
No I don't have worms. I've tried the other responders' suggestions and I've felt better since then. It's gonna take a while I think to be completely off anemia