Dogs and the cold

@indywahm (808)
How long can a dog stay out in this cold weather?? My 2 huge dogs do not want to come in and I make them come in and then they cry all day wanting to go out~~~But the wind chill is below freezing. When I do let them out I just let them stay out until they get their"business" done!!
@nowment (1758)
If you are home and can monitor the dogs during the day, it should be ok to let them stay out for a little while. Some dogs are better in the colder weather and do not feel it their coats are a thick insulation, example the huskies and other snow dogs. I have two dogs one goes out when she absolutely has to, and for as long as necessary and that is it when it is cold. The other loves to run around outside and thrives on being out of doors, his coat is heavier so I think this is why he is more tolerant and durable in the colder weather. And while he would stay out much longer on days like to day when the temperatures are so low, I have had him come he has been calmer inside since I do allow him time out. Depending on the temperature, and the breed of dog, let them out for half hour to 2 hours. As long as you are there to call them in and can check on them they can then play and enjoy being outside, and be safe.
My Saint likes this cold, too. But she is an indoor dog, and I never leave her out long. I wouldn't leave a dog out long, they can definately suffer just like people. I hate when I see dogs outside 24/7 no matter what the temps are. I'd think 30 minutes at a time is safe.
@Willowlady (10666)
I have a black lab and an australian shepherd and a sheltie, They are all fine. We make sure they can get in from the cold, doghouses with straw. Well not the Aussie he like this cold, he has 3 coats. He sits and barks at the snow as it blows in. The key is keep water before them, take it our every couple of hours. Also their houses are facing the south and the sun helps to warm them. You did not tell what the dogs are and if they are mainly house dogs. Both factors. They should be able to tell you how they fell by how they act.