Not Spending Enough Time with My Kids Makes me Feel Guilty

@cdparazo (5769)
I am a single mom and i work very hard to make ends meet and make sure that there is always food on the table. However, every time that i spend away from my kids make me feel guilty. I always feel that i should be with them and looking after them but circumstances make me do otherwise. In effect, i have the tendency to spoil my children and have this urge to give them almost anything they want. I buy them sooo many toys and things that my parents would tell me that i better save them and spend them on more useful things. I always feel bad when they ask something and i wont give it to them and then they cry. Are there any other moms out there like me? Do you think that spoiling one's children is really a way for us to assuage our guilt?
@aj2006 (1536)
Like you, I'm a single mommy as well, I feel the same like you... I make sure that after work I spend quality time with her, I make sure to know the latest developments she's into,what she likes and don't, I know it's not enough and I feel guilty leaving her during office hours..just glad that weekends are there!
@cdparazo (5769)
Yes me too. Sometimes I despair that even weekends have to busy too. In the end, I just take some days off and leave of absence just to be with my children.
@aj2006 (1536)
thanks for choosing me as best response.. and for the idea that you take some breaks from work to cope up with the kidz.. I will definetely try that as well. have a great day!
@cdparazo (5769)
You are welcome. You do that and take some time offs. Its something that moms like us should do and make up for if we are too busy. It is our bonding time so to say.
@samson1967 (7423)
Dear Friend, you must not buy everything (until and unless they are useful and necessary) for the kids just because you feel guilty, for not being with them. That will not overcome your guilty consciousness permanently. Materialistic things will not increase the mother-child bondage. Try to dedicate your early mornings and late evenings, and weekends for your children. A busy person will find time for everything.
@cdparazo (5769)
My children are not really materialistic and as much as I try not to, I still get to buy them a lot of things. I know for a fact that it would never strengthen the bond of mother and child but it DOES makes me feel better. LOL!