You Are Only Coming Thorugh In Waves....

This could very well just be me, but has anyone else noticed that there seem to be waves of certain discussions? Yesterday it seemed like every other question had something to do with animal rights or welfare, and today every other question seems to be about religion. Do Mylot discussions follow trends in the same way movies and video games do? Does one popular discussion set the tone for the rest of the day, with everyone else clamoring in to cash in the success of the original discussion? Is this a cycle which we will never break from? Or have I just been too involved in breaking down entertainment developing and marketing lately?
You know I was just wondering about that myself. Being new and all ( I can still claim my new status for another day or so and get away with it..hehee) I thought I had somehow gotten on the religious page yesterday when I saw all the discussions being started on the topic. I still don't know all the in and outs of the system yet but it has been my observation in other places that people like to get on the popular band wagon so to speak. If they see someone else getting popular for something they say or do the human need to have a part of the spot light pushes us to join in. The same runs true in responding to posts, if the person opening the discussion is perceived as popular the likely hood of replies becomes greater. I have seen, not here, a "popular" person start a discussion with really not weight to it at all and receive a 100 plus responses while someone without the notoriety open a very well written relevant discussion and receive less than 10 responses, go figure. .
@rosie_123 (6118)
Your lips move, but I can't hear what you're saying....... Ooops, I digress! So I guess it is just because people see one discussion doing well, and therefore think they can earn money by starting a similar one, whilst everyone is already thinking along the lines of that same subject. A case of bandwagon jumping I guess. And now I wil be singng that song all night!!
At least it's a damn good song to have stuck in your head! :D
MissK - I posted one discussion under religion because I didn't have Spirituality chosen as one of my preferences. Now you make me feel bad, so I am going to go and make the change. My discussion really wasn't about religion, honest, it wasn't......and I didn't realize that others were posting about religion.....do you still like me?......can we blow kisses and go on?.......~ Your Sister In Love ~Donna
Aw, that's fine! I was referring to the 'DO U BELIEVE IN GOD?!?!' and 'WAT RLGION R U?!?!" type discussions. Which just seemed to be out in droves yesterday! I love a good discussion on religion, but I can only take explaining my beliefs so many times! Of course I still love you. *hugs*
@avs189 (1031)
I guess its purely to increase the number of responses and to increase their ratings..nuthing as such trend followed by Mylot according to me...
@Wanderlaugh (1625)
No, you're right. There are definite patterns to some of the subjects. It has that junk mail feel to it. No substance, just more of the same. I think I'll just stick to the writing and humanities pages. Fewer spam addicts.
@MrNiceGuy (4148)
I really like the Pink Floyd allusion. :) I agree, it does seem that way. I think its because when a new topic comes up in news people try to ride it while its a hot story. I think people also just copy other peoples discussions or headlines from news sites. I remember when Hilary Clinton announced her running for president, the entire Society/Culture section was about Hilary.
@zuri25 (2128)
Maybe it has something to do with hot topics in the media on a specific day that gets people thinking about those subjects. For example, when the story broke about the pit bull that attacked a child who was left alone in the house with the dog, we saw a surge of questions related to pit bulls and owning pets. It's possible that certain issues that are familiar to you such as the animal rights issues because you were an animal control officer tend to pop out at you, making it seem like those questions are abundant; sort of like how a pregnant woman notices every other pregnant woman she sees or ever baby that crosses her path when they had previously gone unseen.
@nowment (1758)
I personally tend to just look for things of interest whether on this site or others. Often in general though when an idea takes hold then many will jump on that idea and go with it, some times folks can't think of what it is they want to say or talk about not every one is good at initiating so then a trend follows that similarities and copies start to pop up not only on sites like this but it is a general human thing to do. It is how cliques get formed, trends start, whether in food, fashion, discussions etc.
yeah, i kinda noticed that too, yesterday was all about how animals mistreated and also regarding the killings of those chicken with flu. and now the flow again is the religion. from what i observe members get there idea of what to post to the discussion they read. lke a stimulus response.
@Thomas73 (1467)
I also noticed this trend of 'fashionable' topics appearing in waves. I'd attribute this phenomenon to inspiration -- or lack thereof! -- after the first discussion is started. It is not easy to be like you and start threads on topics that no one had thought of before. I admire your ability to do so, Misskatonic.
Hi. It seems like this to me also. I myself have noticed that sometimes a particular topic repeats for the whole day. Only difference one can see is the way to express. If a topic is a hit in its starting phase, people try to cash on it more often and it becomes the trend for the day. It's not like a cycle that we cannot break. It is human nature to have a rat race. If one rat is going somewhere, all the rats start to follow it. Good Luck.
@AskAlly (3627)
That is exactly why I have a tendency to stick to my friends list. Too redundant other wise. Same variation, same theme on the hot topic of the day.
@yanjiaren (9050)
i am too new to mke a valid assessment but now that you mentioned it i will try to observe and at a later date come back here to post my findings lol
@weemam (13389)
i think what it is that people read another persons discussion then they start to say to themselves " good idea that I could maybe do something along these lines " and hey presto as you say , I try so hard to think of things as my day goes on , I hope its working for me xx,
@polachicago (19143)
Many people want to ask popular questions or provoking questions. As the only solution to it, they just make new topic that sounds different but in fact it is just copy of someone else discussion. It is because of luck of creativity or luck of interests.
@morph3us (824)
yes, i think lot of person before posting, pay attentiona at wich discussion can take more post, so start a similar discussion, personally i responde at discussion by my interest, and i post just when something come in my mind ;)