We're just a bunch of animals......???

@James72 (26832)
Australia
Or are we? I was at a dinner with an old family friend a couple of years back and made some comment about people having a herd mentality because even though we may be at the top of the chain; ultimately we are just advanced animals. He was extremely offended and actually left the table for fifteen minutes!!! When he came back I apologised for offending him so much; even though I didn't understand how.... Creationists versus evolutionists I guess is what it all comes down to. I believe in God but not necessarily creationism. So are we just evolved animals?
@Tetchie (2933)
And furthermore, your friend leaving the table could be seen on many levels. One that making that statement now goes against his Creationist views. Two that he is unable to acknowledge the shortcomings of just how far we humans have fallen in regard to our supposed intelligence. This is not intended as an attack on your friend personally, this is a global attitude.
@James72 (26832)
I too was surprised at his outburst! He is also deeply religious so I guess from that front I can understand his stance. Thanks for responding.
@Tetchie (2933)
I don't think we are supposed to be just a bunch of animals. But on reflection, and observing with normal vision - the eyes, and consequently even without the scientific proof that we share much in common genetically with animal species, we act more like animals than the animals do. Thanks for the thread on compassion by the way. And they tell me we have lots in common with bananas too! Joking aside, using the model of Rudolph Steiner, the only thing that separates we bipeds from the animal kingdom is our Higher Selves, that part that has the ability to be compassionate among other Godlike traits and is supposed to be highly intelligent.
@Thomas73 (1467)
Humans are an animal species, of course. Genetically, physiologically, and somehow psychologically, all the evidence is there to prove it. If Man has no strength, no claws or fangs, he has a particular asset that allowed him to survive until now and even dominate the planet: his intellect (although judging from what some people write here, there may be a doubt at the individual level ;)). The brain power of humans, in its cognition and self-awareness, makes them special in the midst of the the animal kingdom, but we should never forget that we are intimately linked to the various forms of life on Earth.
@James72 (26832)
I too believe that we have evolved over millions of years and adapted to suit our environments. Apparently sea water and human blood have many similar characteristics and composition?? I find it interesting however when some people vehemently oppose this theory and argue long and hard against it. I am open to most opinions but on this topic it seems to be too clear cut for me to think otherwise. Thanks for responding.