Children Leashes

This past weekend I had a long discussion about children leashes (pieces of velcro that attach to the child's wrist so they can only go a certain distance from the parent). My mother and aunt used the harness versin and the other lady from that generation had used a wrist version. All three of them only used it for one of their children not the others and insisted that for that one child there was nothing that would have worked better. My generation seems to frown upon this concept a great deal. My son is 2 now and driving me up a wall when we go out in public. He's very independent (which is a trait I'd like to encourage) and knows what not to touch. My big concern is that he is going to go around a corner and before I can get there someone else will grab him and he'll begone.
@anij34 (317)
Why does your son not hold your hand? It always bothers me when parents let their toddlers just totter all around the mall or store or in parking lots. If you don't want your child snatched then make it expected that your child will hold your hand at all times.
Wow! Obviously the response of a non-parent. I would "let" my child hold my hand if he wouldn't scream at the top of his lungs for freedom. Children need freedom to explore and to learn independence as well as other basic learning of skills. The parent needs to watch the child to make sure the child is safe, but being attached 24/7 to another individual is not healthy for either party. In parking lots, of course, not holding your toddler's hand is asking for them to be run over, but in other places where such dangers are not present, the child needs some space to be independent.
I personally cannot stand the child leashes. I can understand the usefulness of them, but I still can't stand them. I firmly believe that if a child who is too big/old for a stroller cannot (or will not) walk beside the parents then they should have their hand held. I think the leashes do not teach the child obedience and discipline and instead teach them that they can run as far as the leash allows. Your child can be obedient and walk with you and still maintain his independence.
Have you tried holding a screaming 2-yr-old's hand throughout a public place? Toddlers do not need to be subjugated and discipline of a 2-yr-old often consists of distracting them. Basically it all comes down to choosing your fights and what is best for the learning and development of the child. In my son's case, he needs to run a bit. Right now without a leash, he knows to stay in my sight, but some people don't consider that enough "control" and would wish for him to stop running etc. Since I cannot physically keep up with him, it would be nice to be able to reel him in every once in a while.
I think whatever you have to do to keep your child safe you should do it. even if other people don't agree and might look down on the idea it's not their kid it's yours and you need to keep that kid safe. I used one on my daughter when we were in disney world cause it's so busy. most kids do have one on there.
Thanks. It is reassuring to know that I'm not too far off base here. :-)