RECALL: Easy Bake Oven

Parents...Teachers...etc. Did you hear about the recall on the easy bake ovens? Apparently kids were getting burned (there were 29 reported cases). For those of you that aren't aware of the changes made to the easy bake oven, there is no longer a door to open and close. Instead, there are slits...one to put the goodies into and one to remove it. I guess some of the kids don't realize it just might be HOT in the oven. I never had an easy bake oven. If my parents would have gotten one for me, maybe I would be a better cook today. Anyways, does anyone think that maybe we should just do away with these little mini ovens?
@Poison_Girl (4164)
I'm pretty sure it says on the box something about PARENTAL SUPERVISION. I don't think we should do away with the Easy Bake Oven just because a few kids got burnt. They probably didn't have an adult watching them and that's not necessarily the kid's fault. Parents need to be more responsible.
I totally agree....something about today's society makes it normal to place blame.
@brendalee (6084)
I had heard about the recall and I can't help but thinking that with proper adult supervision maybe these kind of things wouldn't happen. I could be wrong but thats my opinion. I have not seen the new ones. But I had one as a kid and I plan on getting one for my grandson this year for Christmas. He will be almost four then and with proper guidance, I think he will do okay with it.
@Foxxee (3653)
You are correct. It wouldn't happen so much if proper adult supervision was there.
@microzeta (245)
I haven't seen these new models, but the older ones have always kinda freaked me out. I had a similar type of toy as a kid, and I always felt it was weird a battery operated toy could cook food... and of course it always had a weird chalky aftertaste... haha memories...
They are a great concept....but you are right kinda freaky.
You may find it sad if I'd tell you that I am not aware of the existence of these easy bake ovens. If somebody had introduced it to me years ago, most probably, I took one. I agree with you that these innovations truly encourages one to get to some cooking habits.
I know....I really wish that I could cook. I burn almost everything. lol
That's not cool. I'm eighteen and I want one of those. Haha.
hahaha! me too!
@Foxxee (3653)
My dauhter has one and it says right on the box that an adult should be present and not to let a child operate without an adult being right there to supervise. I would think parents just need to be more careful and learn to supervise more. Not all childrens toys are safe for the child to be left un supervised. People assume that because it's a childs toy, it's okay for the child to be left alone with the object, but that isn't the case here. Read the manual and when it says an adult should supervise, then maybe that is what the parents should do. Just my opinion.