Another cooking substitute

By Raz
@razcal2267 (15577)
I do not usually keep sour cream on hand in my refrigerator so when I was asked to make stroganoff and could not get to the store I called my mother asking her if she knew what I should do. I was told that I could use 1 cup of cottage cheese, 5 Tbs of milk and 1 Tbs of lemon juice, put it all in the blender until smooth and creamy.
@sweetlady10 (3620)
This kind of substitute ideas are always cool. If you know substitute you don't have to wait to make something particualr untill you go for shopping. I will try it sometime. Thanks for sharing this great idea.
@razcal2267 (15577)
I hate when I have my mind set of making something only to find out that I am missing a simple yet important ingredient, that is why I like when I know of ways that I can substitute
@emeraldisle (13158)
That is great to know. There are times I've run out of sour cream and it is needed in a recipe. It always seems to happen too when I'm wihtout money to go up and buy some. That's the irritating part. That is a good idea though on the cottage cheese and other things. I'll have to keep that tip to save for later on.
@claudia413 (4284)
Thanks for the tip. That's another one I hadn't heard of before. I usually have cottage cheese, milk and lemon juice in the fridge, even if I don't have sour cream. Now I can't wait to try it. LOL.
@beckyomg1 (6761)
that is a great idea. thanks for the suggestions.
@mcmomss (2601)
That's good to know. I never have sour cream in my refrigerator either, but I usually have the other stuff you named. Thanks for the info.
@sunshinecup (7882)
Wow how cool I had no idea, but I will have to try this trick. Thanks for sharing that!