Has anyone any ideas on Saving Space in the Home!?

@babykay (2133)
Ireland
I live in a smallish house (2 bedrooms, a kitchen and sitting room, 1 shower room). Every room is bursting with stuff, even though I am a fairly effective declutterer. At this stage, there is just too much stuff, in every household category you can think of. The solution is to get a bigger house but with house prices so high, this is easier said than done. So I am wondering does anyone have any tips on minimizing clutter and saving space or using space to its maximum advantage? Would be much appreciated!
I would say you need the one in two out rule. Or at least the one in one out rule. For each new thing you bring in you get rid of something. Ok of course this won't work if you bring in a table and get rid of a book LOL. A bigger house won't help you will just fill that one up! There are fantastic storage pieces out there. Little stackable drawers and so many others. And think about wasted space - under the bed, sofa, in the closet etc. Think of that space under your clothes in the closet as storage. If you get creative you would be amazed at what you can store. Also you might want to check online for space saving ideas; I'm sure that there are loads!
@babykay (2133)
I like the one in two out rule - this is a stroke of genius.
Thank you so much. I appreciate the best response!
@aprilten (1977)
i go over this discussion because i'm hoping to find tips that i can use myself. i also have the same problem, but that's because my husband is a pack rat. he just can't seem to get rid of most of his stuff that seems useless. even his clothes that he's not been wearing for more than two years, he doesn't want to give them away or throw them out. we're running out of places to stack them that's why our house looks like a warehouse.
@babykay (2133)
My husband (until recently) had clothes that would not have seen the light of day in over FIVE YEARS I kid you not...I threw lots and lots and lots of his clothes out around 2 years ago and I continue to throw out (sneakily) some particularly worn out items. The man is a hoarder...
@bethmt (419)
I understand what you're saying because I have this trouble myself at times. One thing that's helpful for me is to go through the clutter a little at a time and not try to think of doing it all at once. Like maybe sort through a closet, toss out or give away anything that you don't use anymore and then organize the things that you're keeping. That way, by tackling one thing at a time, it's not too overwhelming. Since I have limited storage space too it can be helpful to get those plastic storage containers of different sizes to store various things. I keep them in my closet to store sweaters, purses and belts, in the kids room to store the things that they use often but can't fit into a dresser or closet and in other places in our house. Those storage boxes that slide under a bed are great too or you can use a suitcase for this same purpose. Try to keep everything in it's place by designating a specific storage spot. Like you can have a storage box or a shelf for all your CD's, or a box that's just for school or office supplies, etc. That way, this encourages people in the house to put things back where they belong and the things don't get scattered. I came across a great site that you may be interested in called Life Organizers.com and they have tips on ways to organize and cut down on clutter. It's at http://www.lifeorganizers.com/clutter/ I hope this is helpful for you. Good luck!
I think for those things you don't really use and has a value, you can collect them and make a yard sale. buy things that you really need and worth the space in your house.
@design (848)
The down stairs of our house , Is bright and airy , all space is open planned down stairs, and things are kept to a minimum, unlike the upstairs (lol) just can't seem to plan the storage right for our needs. And well the attic which the kids are gonna move into , well lets say you can't see the floor (or most of it). www.itsinmyway.com and www.furniture.ie is a great way of getting rid of thing that may be useful to other people, or the buy and sell magazine, think people sell just about anything in. Good luck, Will be back looking for tips myself later.
@Kaeli72 (1230)
Whatever you haven't used in 6 months, throw it out. A cluttered area makes one go crazy and stressed out...believe me. A yard sale, donations, or give them away.