Is All The Talk About Skinny Models Being Blown Out Of Proportion?

Late there has been a lot of news about models being to skinny. Some countries have even imposed weight guidelines. If a weight is below a certain standard they are not allow to participate. I just read that some of London's most trendy restaurants are offering free meals to models with a size zero. Believe me I have no idea what a size zero is. But it sounds small to me. My problem is that I think this is being blown out of proportion and that the company the models work for should be more responsible. I know there have been a couple tragic cases where a model has died, but I think that obesity is a bigger problem, affecting many more people. Just my opinion. What do you think? Lloyd
@the_vicar (1478)
Really skinny models don't look good anyway, so I am glad Spain & other countries are doing something about it. I think this sort of thing has to stop before these young women die from malnutrition. It is the designers who are responsible for this and THEY should be banned from the shows too if they don't design clothes for normal weight women. It is a sad situation when young women think they have to endanger their health to look good. There is a happy medium between obesity and being too skinny.
You seem like you have gotten to the root of the problem. I hope that you will be a advocate for them if it ever become a huge problem. Thanks for your input. Lloyd
@rosie_123 (6118)
I agree that obesity is a huge probem too, especially in the States, but the problem with the size zero models, is that they are a bad influence on young, impressionable teenage girls. Teenagers generally always look for a role model, and if these girls see models earning loads of money, and wearing designer clothes, they want to emulate them, and as being seriouly skinny is not natural for most of us, they end up getting eating dsorders such as anorexia, and bulimia, in order to achieve this unrealistic goal. In many cases, these diseases will kill you, and even if they do not kill you, they will make a girl infertile, and effect her organs in such a way she will not live as long as she would normally be expected to. As for what size zero is - well it is positive skeletal,believe me! Here in the UK it is called a Size 6, I am a UK size 12, and consideed slim. and most averagely healthy women here are a Size 14 or 16. So it is far too thin, and definately not natural!
Thanks for answering my question regardingt size zero. I didn't know that there were so many bad side effects involved. Maybe it's not being overblown. Thanks. Lloyd
@rosie_123 (6118)
You are welcvome. When I was younger, in the 70's, I did some modelling, and most girls were British size 10 then - which I believe would be a US size 4. It was still slim, but not dangerously so. We have had many demonstrations here in London about the size zeo thing, because London Fashion Week would not ban the models like Rome, and Madrid have done, But sadly while money talks, it will not change, because the Fashion Houses want girls with no figures to "show off" their designs better. Evidently they say there are no "lumps and bumps" to destroy the line of the outfit on a size zero girl. Well surely grls are meant to have "lumps and bumps"!
• Netherlands
I think that the girls have to only look around themselves to see that the majority of women aren't like tose models. If the girls are still feeling bad about themselves then obviously there is something more to it and then models are the ones blamed. People are always putting the blame for things like poor self image and acts of violence and the like on celebrities and such and not accepting that the source of the blame is right there next to them.
• Netherlands
Models are thin and have been for quite awhile I don't understand why people are freaking out about it. So there are some girls out there thinking that they are gross because they don't look like that, well sad but tough. One has to only look around to see that the majority of women don't look like that either so to me it is just plain stupid to claim that it effects people. I grew up with skinny models everywhere and where as I am thin I am not THAT thin and I never cared to be THAT thin.... Whatever.
Thanks for offering an opposing opinion. I'd like to hear what other ladies here think about what you just posted. Lloyd
• Netherlands
I just think that people find something in nothing and sensationalize it. I mean come on, models have been like this for awhile and why are they now deciding to give it aire time? I just think that a lot of things are made a terrible fuss over when there are far more important things that they could be spending this energy on.
I agree. There are much more important issues going on in this crazy world. I think that obesity is a larger problem. No pun intended. Lloyd
Size zero is extremely small and hard to find in stores, believe me. I'm a small framed woman and have struggle my whole life to maintain any weight I manage to gain. The fashion industry is aware of the obesity epidemic, even though they have stick people on the catwalk. Wander into a woman's department some day and look for a size zero. You won't find it. You will find lots and lots of large sizes. There's even a whole section devoted to the plus size woman. I agree that putting anorezic model out there is pretty disturbing, but there are women out there that are a size zero and don't necessarily want to be. If there going to model skinny clothes, they also should make them available. Just my 2 cents. This has been a sore sopt with me for years. I so hate shopping in the junior department.
Wow. I bet many people here didn't know of the situation you find yourself in. I can imagine you hating to have to shop in the junior department. Thanks for your input. Lloyd
@irisheyes (4373)
It's awfully difficult for young girls who want to look like the models even though the look is unhealthy. Basically I think it's a good thing that some attention is being given to this but it shouldn't go overboard. Things could hardly be any worse that they were back in the 1970's when it was rumored that a number of the fashion magazine models were actually transvestite guys.
It's ashame that the employers weren't the ones to nip this in the bud. It took different countries to intervene. I never heard about the rumor that fashion magazine models were actually transvestite guys. Lloyd
@howard96h (11659)
• New York, New York
I personally don't think they should be getting free meals, they are ones choosing not to eat to keep their weight down because of the pressure the fashion industry puts on them. I also think it can dangerous either way, whether underweight or overweight it depends on the individual. There are many healthy overweight people and many healthy underweight people.
The trendy London restaurants that are giving the free meals to the models are doing as a publicity stunt. This is probably a priceless amount of free publicity. Lloyd