Using Coupons on a First Date..Perhaps not a Good Idea?

@Jshean20 (14367)
I read an article today that made me smile. To sum up the article, it basically just stated that experts do not advise that you use coupons on a first date, as it sends a negative message about your finacnes. What do you guys think? Would you do it? What are some other dating "no no's" that you can think of? Source of the article I read: http://www.davesdaily.com/interesting/dating-blunder.htm
That is hilarious. I totally agree that it is a no-no. It makes the person not only look like they have no money, but worse, that they are cheap. There are so many things that you should not do. And most of them begin right at the dinner table. You should eat in a very appropriate manner, be polite and manner-like. Also, it is bad to spend the entire time talking about your entire life, self, etc...as it sends out the message that you are conceited and makes you also look boring. Also, it helps to not confuse their name with someone else, talk about someone else, and generally not be attentive. If you are not "into" the person, they will never want to see you again. Lots of things are no-no's, but we could be here all day...
@Jshean20 (14367)
I say that in some ways it's best if they show their "unlikeable" side on the first date rather than finding out months down the road.
I think that is funny. Some women who are careful with their money might think it's a good thing. This is perhaps silly but I am immediately put off if someone doesn't seem fresh and clean. Especially having bad breath or their teeth not brushed.
@emeraldisle (13145)
I could not imagine using a coupon on the first date. I don't know how it would look to others but if my date used one it would really make me wonder. Not about his fiances but about if he was that cheap. Being frugal is one thing but being a cheapskate is a different story. On a first date you want to give a great impression not one that makes them want to run away.
Gosh I am glad I don't have to date anymore! right ladies who are married! wow I am the rambler on a date I ramble to avoid that silence that cannot be filled. I also eat like an animal, I put my foot up on the chair I do not know why but I do this! Guys laugh and think it is funny but, I have scaredmeny away with this limber yet kinda freakish move ! I think No coupons, good manners (unlike me), Try not to ramble, (unlike me), and Guys fork over the dough for the first date at least, Oh yes and if meeting somewhere buy the ticket for a show or movie in advance this saves the gal a moment where she thinks she should reach in her purse and act ke shes gonna pay! I have done this move without a dime in my purse! Guys don't chew open mouthed, talk only about you, Talk only about guy stuff, and Number One numero uno! do not bring up mom on your first date! wait till #2 at least!
Ironically, the majority of my first dates have been CAUSED by coupons. I say if I can't use a coupon in front of her without fear of what she'll think, odds are we're not getting married, in which case, having a first date is rather pointless. A ready to expire 2 for 1 coupon is the perfect excuse for a date, and if the girl is turned off by my coupon usage, I'm turned off by her. So I TRY to use a coupon on the first date.
@Modestah (11192)
BRAVO!!!! exactly! I think if the person is offended then they are the ones with the conflict that is not suitable... it is a bit superficial to judge the coupon user for his using a coupon. Besides, I wonder, why would the date have to know about the coupon anyhow? it can be discretely taken care of.
I can't agree with this one. I am a very thrifty shopper. I don't care who I am with. If I can use a coupon I will. Why hide this now? he will know about it soon enough.
i would be really turned off if a guy used coupons for our first date. if he paid for the meal, it would make me feel kind of guilty that i made him spend for it. let's face it, women can be materialistic and we want to feel pampered. it can be quite a turn off if on our first date, the guy uses coupons. perhaps during the successive dates it's okay, when we've gotten to know the person and appreciated the entirety of his personality
@carlaabt (3505)
If I was still dating, I wouldn't have a problem with a guy using a coupon on a first date. Using coupons doesn't necessarily mean you are cheap or poor. It might just mean you have better things to spend your money on, like getting out of debt. I would much rather have dated someone that used coupons than someone who had a bunch of debt that he couldn't pay off.
@Modestah (11192)
I take the other side of the issue. I love frugality, and if my guy takes me out to a nice dinner and uses a coupon, I think he is not cheap because he took me to a quality place, and furthermore he is resourceful in using a coupon - now he can also take me to the movies, hehe. Plus I know he is not a cheapskate when he gives a generous tip to the server for good service.
@WyldPnut (74)
This is funny! I am not a coupon user...too much time and effort. First dates should be somewhere both parties are interested in going and not based on where you have a coupon for. After the first date when you know someone a bit better your savings ideas might be more welcome. If the cost of a first date seems high to you maybe you should consider going dutch or maybe a simple date for coffee til you know each other better. Nobody ever said first dates had to be expensive but I think whipping out the coupons would send a negative message on the first meeting. Then again I don't count pennies.
I guess it would depend on the circumstances. Mainly because if you are trying to make a good first impression, no one wants to come across as being cheap. But, let's say you and your date are going to a theme park, and general admission is 60 dollars, but one has coupons to save ten dollars per ticket. I would not mind that at all! That is actually smart, giving the impression there will be a little more money to be spent inside. Now, a coupon used to save 1.00 on a value meal at McDoanld's-that just seems cheap.
@carpenter5 (6786)
I think it depends on the person. My daughter came in looking for my Sonic coupons the other day. Her friend Jared was taking her to get something to eat. It was the first time she'd been anywhere with him. (My daughter's aren't allowed to "date") I had coupons for 99cent Route 44 drinks. She didn't have a problem giving them to him. That's part of what's wrong with our young people today. They are being raised to think that unless you spend a whole lot of money, that it isn't good enough. So many young couples are up to their eyeballs in debt because of it.
Well, I really don't mind. In fact, I love coupons and since I'm a poor college student...if I saw a guy actually have coupons..I would pounce on him. Most college students do not realize that coupons can really help you save money and they just go on spending sprees. It would show me, if he was in my age group, that he was conservative with money.
I wouldn't advise using couplons on the first date either. It looks bad. It send the message that you are cheap. Maybe later in the rel;ationship, but not at first
@sizzle3000 (3040)
I like the use of coupons to save money. I however, think that when you are on a first date you should not use coupons. I think if someone did this to me I might laugh. Maybe he is being cheap or maybe he is showing that he is good with money. I am not sure how I would react. I am so glad that no one has ever done this to me.
@kgwat70 (13396)
I would not use coupons on a first date as that would seem very cheesy to me as well as making me look like a cheap skate. As long as I have the money, I will pay the full price of the date, whether a nice dinner, movie or anything else. The other person may think that they are not worth very much if that person were to use coupons. Money should not really matter though in a relationship so if the other person really liked the person it would not matter if they used coupons or not. Money is a material thing so if someone judges a person by how much money they have or are willing to spend, then I would say they are not the right person for me.
@mizcheekz (178)
Ok, call me a total cheapo but I would welcome anyone who wanted to use a coupon. I don't like to go anywhere or buy anything with coupons. But I agree that most people are not like me and would probably frown on it. So, it would only be acceptable I think if you knew that person was extremely thrifty and could appreciate it. I would be that person. I'd be like right on, we have something in common!!
@shywolf (4520)
Oh my goodness gracious - I may be frugal, and boy am I ever frugal, but I would never pull out a coupon on a first date unless I could do it without the person who I am on the date with seeing me doing it, lol! That is just such a terribly embarrassing thought! I can understand every word that that article is saying! It definitely doesn't paint a great picture of your finances, lol..