DWD - Driving While Drowsy...

@howard96h (11665)
New York, New York
A New York Senator is trying to make DWD illegal. What do you think of this? New York Senator Toby Ann Stavisky, D-Queens, now wants to make being drowsy while driving illegal, hoping to eliminate the possibility of a dangerous crash because someone chose to drive despite being just too tired."Yawning is not illegal, but falling asleep at the wheel under my legislation would be," Stavisky says. She believe drowsy driving is as serious as driving drunk. Her bill would make a first offense penalty a fine of $500. Subsequent offenses would mean fines of $1,000 and a six-month license suspension. But not all officials approve of the idea, saying it would be hard to enforce such a law. Robert Sinclair of AAA says that enforcement is not black and white like cell phones, seat belts, blood tests, or even Breathalyzers that some cars are now rigged with to stop the inebriated."If they are above a certain level[of BAC], the vehicle would not be able to start. Now a similar device for a drowsy driver might help, but how would it work?" Sinclair says. Police on Long Island regularly pull over suspected drunks who are weaving or rolling over the rumble strips, but as for DWD, the only current laws involve truckers. "Our motor carrier and highway patrol officers will stop a truck and request his log book to see how many hours he's logged in driving. The Drowsy Driving Bill was actually first introduced two years ago, but never made it to the floor of the Senate or Assembly for a vote. This time around the bill may picking up speed, making it not too long before sleepy drivers could be spending the night in a jail cell.
@tad1fan (3373)
I think it's a great idea,if they can prove it.....like you said,they can ask a trucker for his log book,or have a drunk take a breathalyzer but what kind of test will be in place to prove you are just plain tired?And what about those people out there who work 12 and 18 hour shifts and are just getting off?They have to get home somehow.....I think it would be great,cut back on 'some' accidents if they can find a way to 'perfect' and 'prove' what they are saying is really there.....
@howard96h (11665)
• New York, New York
Yes, if they can develop a way to prove it for all drivers. Wonder how they are going to do this. Thanks.
@tad1fan (3373)
That's the question out there for the government,now isn't it?They want to bring it forth and charge people with DWD,they need to figure it out,not us
@howard96h (11665)
• New York, New York
Right you are!
@cultoffury (1283)
Yeah, even I feel this would be really hard to identify if a person is really drowsy. How can we measure that? How can we have a solid case of drowsiness. I think it would be really hard to detect. What I should, be done is to simply give the officers in charge to give the right to warn them or even file a case against them if they think the party is really drowsy.
@howard96h (11665)
• New York, New York
That is the problem how can an office prove that someone is drowsy or sleepy. I guess eventually they will come up with something. Thanks.
@bam001 (941)
I think the senator is taking things a little too far. Everyone becomes drowsy sometimes...what about the worker just off a 12 hour shift going home to sleep. He/she is probably drowsy. What do they do? Stay at work? I think not. I only hope that the rest of the senators/reps are living in the real world. Are some people this out of touch?
@howard96h (11665)
• New York, New York
You make a good point about hoping the rest of the senators are living in the real world. Thank you for responding.