What do you do to invest in your childrens education NOW?

for instance, I am looking into tutors for my oldest, since she is behind. It really isn't her fault, she's had four surgeries (1) minor, in her lifetime. She's had more than me! I have 2 jobs, so I will be working my butt off, and am hoping mylot can contribute some. I have already earned more than I thought I would. So what are you doing?
@KrisNY (7591)
This is a huge problem-- College costs keep riding.. I can't even guess how much it will cost when my daughter is old enough to go. So for the time being, I put a set amount of cash each month aside in a savings account for her. Is it just for a college education? No-- She might not even go.. so it will be for her to start out- I certainly hope she goes to college but in cash she doesn't she still has a good head start. I'm looking into the college IRA's for kids.. But then again being a single parent I would hope she would be able to get some financial aid-- If it is even available then.. And I heard that socking money away for your kids in your kids names- will stop them from qualifying for aid. Great question-- and I better get checking into things.. She is 10 now. My mom and dad took out stufent loans for me to go to college.. As long as I kept my grades up they paid them. I went back to college as an adult-- and footed the bill! WOWSA-- It's really up there.
I had not heard that socking money away for kids in their name will prevent aid for college. My goodness! Thanks for the info!
@ossie16d (11827)
You will do what you can to give the best for your daughters, both of them in fact, just as most loving parents do. I must admit that at times when I see what they claim is the cost of rearing a child till they are 18 astounds me, because I do not know where the figures come from. However at the same time we were never in the position where we had to pay extra for a tutor for our son. I am certain that you will see an increase in your earnings here at myLot mytwo_daughters because you have the extra incentive to post as much of quality as you can. The money that you earn will add greatly to the funds you will need to pay the tutor for your daughter. :) My money is staying in the account till we need it, which isn't right now. If we can get by without having to use it when we go on our long holiday this July/August, then it will be great. We expect to be going to Canada to see our son next year 2008, because he expects to be returning there in a few months. If so, we will need all the spending money that we can, so will be saving all that I make here. I suppose in a way you could call it an education fund too, but in this case it will be my husband and I getting educated as this will be our first visit to Canada. :)
that's wonderful! I always need money! Yes, it does cost quite a bit to rear a child! It will be hard to keep up with 2 part time jobs, and kids are home today because of the snow. I worked with Abby all day yesterday on stuff, so today she is playing on the computer. In a while I will do the dishes, and sit down with becca and write out valentines. (abby and I did this yesterday) I am going to be working on the books for taxes from my avon business, and then I will buckle down here at mylot. I do some here and there.