Thumbsucker

@Kaeli72 (1230)
My 11 year old daughter still sucks her thumb and has a blanky that she carries around the house to hold while doing the thumby. When she was just an infant, I had to go back to work. My lazy ex husband would stay up all night and would sleep the whole time I was at work. So, my daughter would be starving in bed and sucked her thumb to comfort herself. (notice, I said EX). Evenutally, he left us and life continued. She's a beautiful child with good grades...A's and perhaps a B. She's well adjusted, but she still sucks her thumb. I managed to cure her once of the blanky, but somehow, that managed to worm its way back into her life. Heaven help the one who throws it away. My ex and I tried the hot sauce and telling her it looks bad, but that didn't work. Then, while he had custody of them (long story), he told her it was ok to suck her thumb. He was convinced she'll grow out of it. I'm not...she shows no sings of letting up on that darn thing.
@SageMother (2277)
I suggest you seek out a child psychologist or psychiatrist. She is past the point where these types of comfort can be removed easy and she probably will always need some external way to comfort herself. I think you can imagine the ways that could develpe as she ages. Her life is getting more demanding by geometric proportions and with middle school looming, she needs to be evalluated a little before an attempt to break them takes place. You need to be very careful.
@Kaeli72 (1230)
My ex (not the one that was the sperm donor) is in child therapy and he's the one who said for her to continue to suck her thumb. Is that messed up or what?
@fabwisp (1328)
My youngest daughter (2) sucks her thumb and everryone has said that kids who suck their thumbs never really stop. So you might be stuck with that one. As for the blanky I think I would be a bit mean...presumably it remains in the house whilst she is at school? Perhaps it could just disappear? Maybe you cold go to see your doctor for advice and perhaps some support numbers. It sounds like you have both been through a lot and could do with this sorting before she hits high school. Good luck!