Why Would Siblings Lie to Each Other?

Most kids lie to their parents at one time or another as they grow up. Two of mine were constantly lying to me. They are all grown now with families of their own. I just learned that one of my daughters is very upset with her sister because she lied to her. Why would siblings lie to each other? Is it worse than lying to a parent?
@SplitZip (1490)
• Portugal
People lie for various reasons: to protect themselves or others from harm, to delude themselves or others, to derive some pleasure in deceiving others, to avoid hurting other people's feelings, to inflict pain or damage unto others... Lying in general is never good. It doesn't matter if it's to a stranger or a family member. In theory, at least. I suppose the consequences that can arise from the lie may be more severe when family or friends are involved. It depends. Lying is very destructive, but sometimes people have no other choice. There are, of course, those who are pathological liars and they feel a compulsion to lie. I've met several people like this and I never understood them fully, or at least I have never felt a compulsion to lie just for the sake of lying. It's very strange. In any case, without knowing the nature of the lie and the people involved, it's very difficult to comment on your post.
Good points. I know that some people lie to stay out of trouble or to make themselves look better. I gave up trusting two of my children years ago because they lied so much. As far a my daughter who was lied to by her sister, I think she should have expected it. But I guess she trusted her sister. Now she feels betrayed.
@SplitZip (1490)
• Portugal
That's understandable. It can be very difficult to trust someone after being lied to.
@Jshean20 (14374)
Well having grown up with 2 older sisters I know that I very rarely lied to them. I can understand why some kids would do it though, as they're probably fearful of being told on or of having their siblings judge and somehow mock them. I think that lying to a sibling can actually be worse than a parent, kids should feel like they can go to someone close with a problem or advice and quite often their mom might not be their first choice to talk to (unfortunately) and in my opinion another close family member would be the next best thing.
I think you have a good point about siblings talking to each other rather than a parent. For some reason most kids, especially teens would rather talk with friends or siblings instead of parents. That makes is doubly bad when siblings can not trust each other.
My cousin always lied to me. Mostly it was about the stupidest things because she was jealous of me. I haven't a clue as to why but that was why she lied. I think lying to a parent would be worse than a sibling. Have you asked your daughter why she lied? She may tell you why she did it.
Yeah, I think insecurity has a lot to do with things. Asking my daughter why she lied? She'd probably lie about the lies.