Weight loss buddies - shopping list from hungry girls

@Debs_place (10525)
Ok, so many times we just don't know what is available to us to help us lose weight and eat healthy...well check this out..a shopping list to help keep us on track http://www.hungry-girl.com/textpreview.php?newsletterid=1031 Dairy, Dairy Alternatives and Eggs ---------------------------------------- Kraft Free Singles (fat-free cheese slices) The Laughing Cow Light Cheese Wedges Egg Beaters (Better'n Eggs, etc.) Veggie Slices (soy-based cheese), Swiss Shredded fat-free mozzarella cheese Reduced fat grated parmesan cheese Light string cheese Yoplait Light Yogurts Dannon Light & Fit Yogurts & Smoothies Fage Total 0% Greek Yogurt 8th Continent Light Vanilla Soymilk (or any other light vanilla soymilk) Blue Diamond Almond Breeze Unsweetened non-dairy beverage, Vanilla and Chocolate Fat Free Reddi-wip Cool Whip Free (in the freezer aisle) Coffee-Mate Original Fat Free (liquid creamer) Coffee-Mate Sugar Free French Vanilla (powdered creamer) Fat-free cream cheese Fat-free sour cream I Can't Believe It's Not Butter! Spray Fat-free cottage cheese Cereal -------- Fiber One bran cereal Puffed wheat Puffed rice Shredded wheat Kashi 7 Whole Grain Puffs Kashi Vive Barbara's Bakery Puffins Quaker Instant Oatmeal packets Meat & Seafood ------------------ Applegate Farms sliced turkey breast (or the freshest sliced turkey from the deli counter) Applegate Farms sliced ham (or the freshest sliced ham from the deli counter) Canned tuna in water Bumble Bee Prime Fillet Albacore Steak Entrées Hormel Turkey Pepperoni Skinless, boneless chicken breast Hebrew National 97% Fat Free Beef Franks Jennie-O Lean Turkey Burgers Jennie-O Extra Lean Turkey Bacon Imitation crabmeat Shrimp (frozen or fresh) Veggies --------- Giant romaine lettuce leaves (great for wraps!) Salad greens Frozen veggies Butternut squash (for HG's special fries) Onions (for our ROCKIN' onion rings) Fresh vegetables (your choice) Baby carrots Pickles Cabbage Canned pure pumpkin (technically a fruit, we know!) Fruit ----- Fresh fruit (we love red seedless grapes, fuji apples, navel oranges, melons, bananas, etc.) Canned fruit in its own juice (like pineapple, mandarin oranges, peaches, etc.) Frozen strawberries No sugar added applesauce Soups ------- Campbell's Soup at Hand Campbell's Select Gold Label Soups Progresso 99% Fat Free Soups Low sodium chicken or vegetable broth Amy's Light in Sodium Soups Amy's Chunky Tomato Bisque Tabatchnick Soups (located in the freezer) Miso soup packets Packaged Snacks, Bars, Cookies, Crackers, Chips & Popcorn ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Quaker Rice Snacks (Quakes, Multigrain Minis, Mini Delights, etc.) Sugar Free Jell-O Gelatin Snacks Sugar Free Jell-O Pudding Snacks Nabisco 100 Calorie Packs (you choose the variety) Keebler Right Bites South Beach Diet Snack Bar Delights Nature Valley Fruit Crisps, Cinnamon Apple Guiltless Gourmet Potato Crisps and Tortilla Chips Soy crisps (Quaker, Genisoy, Glenny's) 94% fat-free mini microwave popcorn bags (Jolly Time Healthy Pop, Orville Redenbacher's Smart Pop!, Pop Secret) Fiber One Chewy Bars Gerber Fruit Puffs & Veggie Puffs Breads -------- Light English muffins La Tortilla Factory Low Carb Low Fat Tortillas Wonder Light Bread and Buns Western Bagel Alternative Bagels and Alternative Pita Bread Ice Cream & Frozen Novelties ---------------------------------- Dreyer's/Edy's Slow Churned Light Ice Creams The Skinny Cow Ice Cream Sandwiches & Bars Smart Ones Giant Bars (Fudge and Cookies & Cream) Healthy Choice Premium Fudge Bars Sugar Free Popsicles Sauces, Dressings & Spreads ---------------------------------- Hellmann's/Best Foods Dijonnaise Girard's Fat Free Dressings Wish-Bone Salad Spritzers Kraft Free Italian fat-free dressing Smucker's Sugar Free Preserves Land O Lakes Whipped Light Butter Sugar-free maple syrup Salsa Low-calorie, low-fat (or nonfat) tomato sauce Frozen Foods & Meals ------------------------- Boca Meatless Burgers (Original) Boca Meatless Lasagna Boca Meatless Chili Boca Meatless Ground Burger Gardenburger Veggie Burgers Boca Meatless Chik'n Patties Morningstar Farms Corn Dogs (meatless) Lean Cuisine Brick Oven Style Pizzas Lean Cuisine Panini sandwiches Amy's Kitchen Mexican Tamale Pie Amy's Kitchen Burritos Cedarlane Low Fat Garden Vegetable Enchiladas Kashi All Natural Entrees South Beach Diet Breakfast Wraps Beverages ------------- Coke Zero SoBe Adrenaline Rush, Sugar Free Diet Rite Pure Zero Fresca Swiss Miss Diet Hot Cocoa Mix Crystal Light (On The Go, tubs and ready-to-drink) Millstone Coffee Baking Goods & Spices --------------------------- Pam Nonstick Cooking Spray Vanilla extract Cinnamon Splenda Mrs. Dash Seasoning Blends Unsweetened cocoa powder Torani Sugar Free Syrups
@KrisNY (7591)
This is a great list for all of us who are trying to eating healthier! Of course you don't have to buy it all at once.. There are alot of great things on the list that I already buy every week.. but some things that I don't care for. I think they key is smaller portions- DOn't totally elminate the bad food-- just do it in portions.. Thanks for this great list.
@Debs_place (10525)
You are right, if you try to eliminate the bad foods (usually your favorite foods) thing will not work out. You will get frustrated and give up. And that is the real bad part.
@cjsmom (1423)
I have saved the information in my notepad page of ideas/suggestions from mylotters. I find it hard to lose weight as well; I have to begin walking again and only eating a few bites of food when I'm hungry. I tend to eat when I'm not hungry and that's where the trouble begins. I try to drink green tea that I sun-brew myself; I have a gallon of it outside at this time. Brand name is, Salada, and I love the strawberry/orange flavor; I add a bit of lemon or lime juice to it in a sports bottle and drink it throughout the day. When I do lose the weight I can keep it off for quite awhile until that is, when I start 'pigging' out again...
@Debs_place (10525)
IT is awful to keep on fighting this life long battle. I understand it all too well. That is why I thought I would dtry to put things like hints and recipes out here.
@babyjane (1395)
1. Drink water Water is quite possibly the single most important catalyst in losing weight and keeping it off longer term. Water acts as an appetite suppressant by keeping your stomach full and fending off dehydration which can lead to false cravings/hunger. Water also helps your body metabolize stored fat by helping the kidneys flush out waste. When you don't drink enough water the liver which works to provide stored fat for energy helps the kidneys eliminate waste and becomes less effective at metabolizing fat. Drinking water ice cold burns about 62 calories a day. Your body has to work to raise that waters temperature to your body's temperature. This equals around 430 calories per week. 2. Eat regularly This means eating 5 times a day and the most important meal is breakfast. Make sure you fuel your body first thing in the morning to avoid hunger pangs later in the day. When you eat 5 times a day you will never feel hungry, make sure the total calories consumed are sensible and don't over eat in any of the meals learn portion size control! 3. Eat lots of fibre Eating adequate fiber foods to help keep things moving through your bowel. And like water, fiber rich foods bulk you up and make you feel fuller for longer. Fibre is found only in plant foods our bodies cant digest it to so it simply goes through the body. During the elimination process it cuts calories consumed by attaching to protein and fat that you eat along with it removes that as well In addition, high fiber foods are typically low in calories and filling, so you are reducing your calorie intake overall. Good fibre foods include: strawberries, apples, figs, chickpeas, potatoes, (with skins) broccoli, brown rice, beans, bran and nuts. 4. Consume more good fats There are good fats and bad fats Good fats provide you with essential fatty acids (linoleic and linolenic acids) needed for normal reproduction and growth, as well as for production of prostoglandin, a hormone like compound that regulates blood pressure, prevents blood clotting and lowers the risk of heart disease. For example, the reason oily fish is a great food stems from the fact that the essential fatty acids which it contains can actually help your body burn fat more efficiently and protect against disease. Get at least three portions of oily fish a week with Salmon, mackerel, herrings and sardines being good choices. 5. Get plenty of quality protein Quality protein is an effective weight control tool because of the satiety factor and its ability to keep you full for longer periods. It also balances out carbohydrates by preventing insulin spikes that cause energy loss and sugar cravings Protein helps to maintain muscle mass which is important in the fat burning process. Good choices include: Fish, shrimps, Low fat cottage cheese, low fat yogurt, skimmed milk, egg whites, s Weight gain is caused by consuming too many calories, whether they are from carbohydrate, protein or fat. 6. Carbohydrates can help you lose weight Don't believe what you read about carbohydrates being bad for you, they can actually help you lose weight! A diet containing good carbohydrates such fruits and vegetables, wholegrains and moderate in fat and calories, will result in weight loss Good carbohydrates will also help you combat hunger pangs as they are slowly realized into the body. When eating carbohydrates eat them "from the earth" with no refining or processing. These include whole grains, vegetables; fruits and beans. Sensible weight loss If you have read the above you will see that it is not the food group, but the quality of the food in it that's important for fast weight loss.
@Debs_place (10525)
Lots of great info...Thanks.
@ctinabina (386)
Yes, it's a long list, but you're not supposed to buy everything at once. They give you a list of options. I like how there are many high-fiber choices and ready-to-go choices. I think that it's easier to get off track when you don't have at least a few meal-at-hand options through the week. I would, however, add herbal teas as they are naturally sugar free, hydrating, and delicious!
@Debs_place (10525)
Yes, you are right, these are suggestions and it is handy to have some ready to eat options. Good idea on the teas..I like a cup at night sometimes, just a new flaovr helps.
The best thing to do is to eat all you want and then burn it out by exercises. There is no point in starving your body or taking artificial foods. Eat more of fresh fruits and vegetables in whatever dishes you like and then work out more.
@Debs_place (10525)
That is a very easy thing to say when you are a 24 year old male. I see my son eat, he is 21, eats more in a single meal then I do in 2 days. I exercise, I eat plenty of fruits and vegetables, but I can not eat all I want. You must live in a world friendly to your life style, some of us have to sit down to work.
@polachicago (19073)
Your list is long....from my point of view...I wouldn't trust fat and sugar free food. People eat more if they eat fat and sugar free. Lean cusine is next mistake. I want to eat real butter and cream and real sugar in my coffe. I never gained weight in my life. I don't drink coke or any soft drink, it is not good for you with and without sugar. I just eat small portions every 4 hours. Whatever I want. I am vegetarian and I believe in whole food diet, not sugar and fat free diet. Sugar and fat free is already proven as wrong.
@Debs_place (10525)
You are lucky, I was doing ok in weight department until years of medication, now I struggle to lose every ounce. I eat small portions, I eat healthy and work out, I am struggling to lose. What works for you, may not work for everyone else.
@greengal (4286)
That is a loooong list but a good one. I think I have moist of it in my pantry. I have been calorie and weight conscious for a while now so have been watching what I eat. I'll copy this list anyways, will be helpful the next time I go for groceries.Thanks!
@Debs_place (10525)
I like seeing that there are new foods out there, sometimes we get so busy that we don't know about the new products. I am glad this could help one person.