Squamish about photos?

By Leca
@lecanis (16664)
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Does anyone else feel a little odd about putting up photos of themselves? I avoided it for a while after I joined, but I finally have done so after someone asked if I had a pic of my kid up. It took a lot of thinking about before I did it, for a number of reasons. First, there's the safety issue. I already have the name of my town up. I've mentioned the place where I work. If I put a picture up, it really wouldn't be that hard for someone to find me. Then again, I don't want to be the type of person that is always afraid, and I have met some of my closest friends (and my husband) online. Also, there's the ever popular question of whether I really want people I know offline to read the things I write online. I'd like to think that I'm the type of person who doesn't keep secrets, but it's not entirely true. There are some things I just don't go around broadcasting to people in real life, but am pretty comfortable discussing online. So what would I do if one of my coworkers, or a friend of a friend, or family members of mine in Kentucky saw my posts here? Ultimately, posting my picture on my profile was an act of liberation for me. I will not be afraid, and I will be the same person in all worlds. =) (Umm... I think I think too much.)
@misskatonic (3727)
I'm not squeamish about my photos. They're all over the net, anyway, and I don't worry about keeping different aspects of my life separate. I've always been open about everything I do - things I've written, websites I've posed for, all of that. I'm in such a remote area, and unless someone has the passcode to get through my gate, no one's going to be bothering me. But I understand completely why people wouldn't want to broadcast exactly who they are online. There are weirdos out there, and I see nothing wrong with cautious people being... well, cautious. I'm glad you were able to do it, though, and that you feel it's the right thing. That's all that matters!
@lecanis (16664)
• Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Thanks for replying! Okay, I have to admit I'm a little curious about part of your reply, but maybe I shouldn't go there. *laughs* Anyway, I think it's healthier to be open about everything you do. I've worked very hard at certain times of my life to keep things seperate, and really all it has done is make me miserable. So it's something I'm working on. I am pretty happy about finally posting them. Especially with having so many nice friends on this site. I know that I love to see their faces, so I wanted to share mine as well. And I haven't heard any weeping or gnashing of teeth yet!
The 'websites I've posed for' part or the 'passcode for the gate' part? ;)
@lecanis (16664)
• Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Well I was thinking the websites you have posed for part, but come to think of it... you have a passcode for your gate? You're a very interesting person, you know that?
@Riptide (2761)
Your baby is adorable!!! Yeah I had to go peek at your profile lol. Maybe I should follow suit and put some of mine up as well. I think everybody has little secrets here and there :)
@lecanis (16664)
• Murfreesboro, Tennessee
hehe Thank you, thank you. =) Ooo I wanna see pictures! Yup, we all got our secrets. *starts trying to shut the closet door with the skeletons hanging out of it*
@Riptide (2761)
LOL Well looks like mylot doesn't accept bmp pics so I have to try and convert them. That should be fun lol. But as soon as I figure that out I will post them, promise :)
@lecanis (16664)
• Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Haha that does sound like fun. Darn file format rules anyway. =p Good luck!
I am a paranoid person to a certain extent, so I do not think that I will ever post a picture of myself and certainly not my children on MyLot. I think one of things I always worry about are the sickos, that want our children. I mean it is scary how many of them are out there. So I figure it is best to not post a picture of myself so people can't find me and my kids so easy. I am more than likely freaked out for no good reason, maybe after more time online I will change who knows.
@lecanis (16664)
• Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Thanks for your response! I think part of the issue does have to do with being online a long time. I've been talking online for a long time (over 10 years now, though the old days were soooo slow), and so I've become more comfortable with it than some others. As I said, I met my husband online. That said, I still very rarely post pictures of myself, and I really rarely give out my real name unless I've known someone for a very long time.
@brokentia (10396)
Congrats on your liberation! :) It is nice to finally feel more free in different areas. I post my picture also because I know that no one will know me here in my town. I stay home and only venture out to run errands and take the kids to and from school. So, I do not have to worry about co-workers knowing anything. But I also do not reveal anything that is too personal that would not already be known. Yes, on occasion, I might reveal something about me that is not popularly known...but what are the odds of someone that does know me to happen to stumble onto that discussion out of the many thousands if not million of discussions here on myLot. So, I post my picture...so people can see me for who I really am. Maybe if they are insightful enough, they will look past the face to who is inside.
@lecanis (16664)
• Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Thanks for a very thoughtful and interesting post, brokentia!
@hezoid (2148)
I'm not really that worried about someone finding me from on here just by my icture and the scant details i have put up about myself. For one thing i don't know why anyone would want to bother finding me! If anyone who knew me saw me on here on the offchance (someone i'd not already referred) then i wouldn't care that they saw me, it's nothing to be ashamed of being on here! Anyway, i didn't hesitate to put my piccy up, i'm not embarassed about it and in fact have it as my avatar!
@lecanis (16664)
• Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Thanks for your response! I'm not ashamed of being on here, I just often talk about things that I'm not as likely to talk about offline. I think some of those things might cause a bit of a stir at my workplace if they got out. =p I'm glad that you're so open, and feel comfortable enough to put your picture in your avatar. I thought about doing that, but I really like what I have there now.
@Denmarkguy (1845)
I'm not really squeamish about posting photos of myself, although I used to be. At least some years back... when I was new to the Internet, and I believed it was filled with psychos who'd come to the house and rob me. So people have a photo of me to see... what are they gonna do? Run screaming from the building? If I had kids, I'd probably be hesitant to post photos of them, and I certainly wouldn't post a photo of an S.O. without checking with them, first. Like you, I have met some of my very best friends through the Internet... so I'm just not too worried about photo sharing, anymore.
@lecanis (16664)
• Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Thanks for your response. It's funny how having met some good friends online changes your perspective about the whole online thing sometimes. I agree with you on posting photos with of your S.O. without checking with them first. I've known several people to majorly mess up relationships like that. I always ask if I'm going to post a photo with my S.O. in it. We talked about our baby's photo too, but we didn't think it likely to be a problem. I would be a little hesitant to post a photo if he were older though.
I am squamish and squeamish too about it.=p I have been know to put up a photo of myself up and them take it down in the same day. I am odd that way..lol I think it is because I am not comfortable with my own face. Anyway you have a very nice looking family. :)
@lecanis (16664)
• Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Haha, squamish and squeamish eh? =p I've done the same thing before, put a photo up and then looked at it again and thought, "I don't want anyone to see that!" *laughs* Thank you =)
@inked4life (4227)
I have no problem putting up a picture of myself (other than the fact that my friends here on mylot might see it and run screaming from the room...LOL), but I am still kind of leery about putting up pictures of my kids. I also try not to put up too many real personal thought and try to keep most of my responses either neutral or very light-hearted.
@lecanis (16664)
• Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Thanks for responding. Yeah, I was a little nervous about the kids thing too. Actually, if my kid were older, I wouldn't post a picure of him. But I can't see it being a big deal with him being a baby. Haha, I worried about people running screaming from the room with my picture too. I mean, what if one of my friends was only talking to me because they hoped I was hot? Oh, wait, I don't want that kind of friend anyway. =p