Bath toys

@CatEyes (2449)
I heard that some bath toys can pose a threat to children. The threat is with the toys that are water squirters or those that can retain water and develop bacteria, mildew and so forth. Does this concern you? If so what do you do, just toss them out after a period of time or do you not buy the toys?
@vetsmom_rgv (1083)
Yeah, My daughters favorite aligator bath toy started getting some black dots and quickly told her that he was dirty and that she could pick a new toy to play with. She missed it for a while, but got over it. I through them out. We do try to squeeze all the water out and put them out to dry. They do have some that don't have the holes in the bottom, but kids love those squirt toys. I would say jsut keep an eye on them, and throw them out at any sign of mildew or a strange smell coming from them. GOOD LUCK
@Sweetpeas (739)
We have a mesh bag that all the toys sit in after play thats drains them. But usually he doesnt have toys that can retain water at all and if he does we throw them out after a while because of mildew etc. There are so many water toys out there that dont hold water, its easier for us to just stick to them and he doesnt complain so alls well lol!
@Willowlady (10666)
You can wash them and rinse them with bleach and that will take care of anything that might grow. No real worries, the amount of goodies that grow is not really a big deal in most cases. Take care of them as you would any other item and they can be ready for bath time and your kids enjoyment.
@brokentia (10396)
Yes, I have seen mildew grow in squeeze bath toys. And when I saw that, I stopped buying those toys and threw them away! My kids now play with action figures or barbies in the tub...along with bubbles. :) Bubbles are a great thing! Entertains AND cleans. :)
@lilaclady (28270)
thats very interesting, something most people just wouldn't think about but does sound logical.
@catch_me (930)
i dnt use any bath toys:)........................... .............................................................................................................. ,....................................................................................
• Grand Junction, Colorado
Yes it is of concern to me. What I generally do is remove the toys immediatley from the tub and rinse and get the water out then place them so that most of the water can drain out. I don't end up keeping them very long and only buy them when the kids show an interest. I much prefer the toys that don't retain water or are easy to clean.
@yanjiaren (9050)
i used to have a few ducks and things like that..but i used to change them regularly and wash them really well so i never had a problem with them..they were always very clean and fresh..i used to put them in tcp and wash them too much lol..
hi CatEyes yes I suppose those bath toys that retain water 'could be contaminated with mildew and bacteria. I think you could wash them in a mild solution of lysol and water, and they would be safe to play with after rinsing them. my children are adults now but they always had their bath toys and never seemed to get sick from them at all.