Do your cats and dogs get along?

Skye and Wanda"sharing" the puppy blanket - Skye and Wanda"sharing" the puppy blanket. They are fast friends.
@blueskies (1186)
We have 2 dogs and 4 cats. Our home was relatively peaceful, without much interaction between the pets, until we adopted a kitten 8 months ago. Wanda is very playful and would torment the older cats by ambushing them and doing other annoying things like trying to sleep on their heads. In November, Skye (our sheltie puppy) entered the picture. Skye and Wanda soon discovered each other and became fast friends and adversaries. They spend their days stealing toys from each other, hogging each-other's blankets and vyeing for human attention. I turned around a moment ago just as Wanda made herself cozy on Skye's blanket. A moment later, Skye discovered the interloper and promptly laid down on top of the cat. Here's a pic--Skye shifted just before I took it--she WAS lying directly on top of Wanda:D
• Nigeria
Depends on which cat and which dog. Bubba will barely tolerate any of the dogs, avoids any interaction. Spiffy will play with any of the dogs (my Chihuahua, Jester, used to drag her around the house by her ear ) and loves snuggling with my Aussie, Shiloh...but other times she will beat him up, she won;t play with the puppy, Storm or our old mutt Nicky.. Orion (20 years old) puts all the dogs in their place with a few gentle bops, though the puppy hasn't figured out she really needs to leave Orion alone.
@jbrowsin66 (1322)
If you mean by getting along do they just totally ignore each other, then the answer is "yes", lol.
@ESKARENA1 (18299)
i have a cat and a dog and they sort of tollerate each other. They still have their moments but its play fighting rather than actually harming blessed be
@maryannemax (12170)
• Sweden
my dog and cat playing - lalurp and lucky playing on the sofa seat
yep. my cat and dog do that, too. at first, i thought that are fighting. but then, they really aren't. they are actually just playing and never hurt each other.
@rosie_123 (6118)
Friends - All feline friensd together:-))
I think the photo of Skye, and Wanda is lovely! I don't have dogs, but I do have 5 cats, and they al get along pretty well, providing they all remember that Sasha the eldest cat (the one in my avatar), s "King", and they all do what he tells them!!! LOL! My kitten Lily sounds a lot like your Wanda - she is just 7 months now, and has a great time annoying her big brothers! Here are some of my cat family enjoying a lazy afternoon!
@blueskies (1186)
Thanks for sharing the great pic :)
@Willowlady (10666)
With out 5 cats and 3 dogs we have a fairly peaceful coexistance. I have a rule and most of the time it is followed. No fighting in the house. I want them all to get along but they do squabble. The dogs wouldl like to rough up thd kitties however they say no way. So we have the two camps. Not bad for all guys!!!
@patootie (3593)
That's certainly a houseful .. I bet you are never without one of other of the pets wanting a nice cuddle .. or feeding or letting out .. I miss doing all those things for my 'twins' (just two kitties in the litter).
Oh they are so cute! We have one dog and two cats. The one cats is always rubbing up against the dog and laying beside him. She touches noses with him all the time. The other cat, dislikes the dog so much. She lays just out of reach of him, flexing her claws and just stares him down. The big old lab actually gets up and moves across the living room when she does that...lol Who can blame him, she has scratched his nose more times than I can count. He is always trying to sniff the cat and it drives her nuts!
@superbren (856)
jack , my little yorkie - this is jack , my little yorkie who joined us at christmas.hwe is est friends with our cat and casper the boxer.
my animals get on great and i am so glad. we got the yorkie at xmas and i was terrifed that my boxer would kill it or be very jealous but she loves the little puppy. the cat and the yorkie sleep in the same bed and wrestle around the house playfighting. when they go,ooutside the play with casper the boxer. its so great that they all get on. they dont even fight over food.
@arkaf61 (10882)
I have two cats and two dogs and they get along very well together. When we got bailey, the last addition to the family, things got shaken a bit, and still today he gets things stirred up more than any of the other pets- but he's also the youngest and I think that has a lot to do with it. Tazz, our black lab, adopted bailey from the beginning.They sleep together and play together all the time even thought tazz is several times bigger than bailey :)
Luckily all of our pets get along well too!
@patootie (3593)
I have never had cats and dogs in the same house at the same time .. but I have had cats and dogs iyswim .. I've never had a single pet so my pets always had a 'partner in crime' to play with .. cats and dogs are definitely 'worse' than children to look after hehehe !! Cheeky and smart at the same time ... and thankfully my various pets have all got on together .. which is more than can be said for my children .. !
@manmaxman (850)
i never but them together becoz my cat hart my dog one day so after that i never put them together at home alone
@mywords18 (645)
well i didnt got cats and dogs togather as i always have them seperatly,,,,,,,,,but yes my dogs of different age and breed always went along pretty well and younger ones always respected older ones no matter its about even sharing food,so i get knw another fact of life that animals do have realtionships and respect for eachother.
Well i didnot have both cats and dogs as pets at once.But i have known people having them.My neighbor used to have them and both the cat and dog used to get along well.The surprising thing is that the dog used to shout at other cats but not at his co-pet.The key lies in the fact that they stay together from their childhood.
@quatelmon (955)
My dogs, cats, and FERRETS all get along great! They keep each other young, I think. I believe that it has to do with the family that owns the animals, and how they are introduced to each other. Done slowly and properly, there can be peace in a home with cats and dogs! In your situation, which is similar to one we were in not too long ago, it's like having two puppies or two kittens when you have a kitten and a puppy. They are like siblings! One minute they're cleaning each other's ears, the next they're fighting over a toy. :) Good luck with all of your animals! That's an adorable picture of the two of them!
My 6 year old cat hates when I get a new addition to the family. I train dog's to work with livestock for other owners, so I get a new puppy every 6 to 12 months. So my poor Tigger (tigga) has to make new friends alot, but she generally hates other dogs, she is a one family cat. At first when the new pup comes home, she stays away for a week, only coming inside for food then she goes away to where-ever she plays in the forest. Then within a week or two she slowly comes back and spends more time at the house, eventually annoying me constantly for food and attention and when she doesnt get it, she meow's all night to punish me and if Im on the computer she bounces all over the keyboard. The puppy Ive had now for about 3-4 weeks loves to visit my neighbours house with us as they have a kitten, its so funny to watch them play. The kitten tears into the pup and the pup retaliates by pinning it down by sitting on it.
They get along sometimes if the cats aren't in a bad moode. I have two tom cats and one female cat with also a male dog. The dog wants to play with the cats all the time, but sometimes they just don't want to play. It's funny really.
@pendragon (3352)
One dog and our cat get along, the other dog would probably make short business of the cat, so they stay away from eachother, the other dog treats the cat kind of like a baby,lol.
@WebMann (4732)
I have two friends that have cats and dogs and they all seem to get along just fine. The dogs chase the cats and the cats do things just to get the dogs to chase them. It is fun to watch and they never bite or scratch each other.
@fabwisp (1328)
My cat and dog are very strange. At times they seem to get along and theres mutual cleaning n sleeping together. Then other times its bedlam and like they want to kill each other! I think they have a mutual understanding that they are stuck with each other, but i don't like leaving them alone together for two long! LOL
@maryannemax (12170)
• Sweden
my dog and cat eating on the same tray - a photo of lalurp (dog) and lucky (cat) eating on the same tray.
that's a cute picture! i have pictures like that, too with my dog and cat. i have a stray cat. we called him lucky eversince. he was still a kitten when his mother brought him here and we took care of him. he's two years old already. last december, i saw a puppy in a cage outside a shopping mall. he's on sale. sad to see him in cage, my mom bought her and we named her lalurp (because she loves to slurp!). it took atleast a week or two before lucky and lalurp get along well together. and now, they eve eat on the same food tray, share blankets together and they even play together! i can't imagine how a cat and a dog be good friends. and i find your story cute! i hope all your cats and dogs get along well, too!