What are the steps to building your own house?

My husband and I have a couple of drafts done, what should we do next. My husband has an uncle who does construction and he might be our contractor. Should we ask for refrences even though he's family? How do we go about buying land, where do we look or ask what lands are available?
There is always land for sale in your area, or the areas that you want to live online, and you can easily see this on all the real estate pages. Also, what you would really need to do is make sure that your home (drafts) passes all the codes, because it cannot be built with any violations. Also, I would have an engineer or contractor look it all through, and the builders that you hire, would be able to get that all started also. It is going to take a lot of work, money, and time. You want everything to look and be excellent, and so, you will have to decide every single detail, unlike when you just buy a home in the suburbs, this could turn out wrong if you don't know what you are doing. There are people who have torn down their homes, because they did not realize that they had done the most "airheaded" things, that do not even make the home function properly, because they designed it themselves. I recommend getting help, in neither of you have experience in those areas. Good luck.
Thanks a whole bunch for the advice! I guess I should save up a bit more to hire that engineer. I want an indorr patio in the center of my house! So i have to get that checked out first. Again, thanks for you advice!
@ajinomoto23 (1057)
It took me more than 7 yrs to finish my house. I hired an architect to draw the plan. Later I added two rooms at the back. I hired carpenter to do the job. Find good carpenter that really work. There are cheaper lands in rural area. Try to compare prices and quality of construction materials. Some material do not last long. Concrete and steel, few uses wood today. It must be a strong and sturdy house - that can stand for a long time.
WOW! Omg, then i should start NOW! Thanks for the advice. Did you ask for refrences?
@riempie9 (1026)
• South Africa
I recently renovated and built on a section to my house and found that the most important person to have on board is the right contractor as there are too many things at stake when things go wrong. Pardon me for saying this, but a family member in charge is not a good idea. You want to be able to ask the contractor anything that pertains to the job and speak your mind and you don't want to be hampered by the fact that the uncle is also there. With a stranger you can set down the rules and don't have to tiptoe around. Relatives on the job are not a good idea. You want to deal with professionals who get the job done right the first time, and if they don't you have an action plan.