why do we no longer eat pigeon

@shelagh77 (3643)
I like to collect old recipe books and find some of the ingredients, such as pigeon, rather intriguing. It is strange to think that a bird which is thought of as a major pest in the UK was once a regular item on the menu. We still eat chicken and turkey, so I wonder why pigeon fell out of favour. Does anyone know why we no longer include pigeon in our menus?
@mfpsassy (2827)
Um yuck I don't even like chicken that much Since you like birdies so much I got one I'll send you it never shuts up and it's loud lololol
@shelagh77 (3643)
Oh dear, you don't know what you are missing lololol. Thanks to one of the posts I have found a nice place that has pigeon on the menu, so I can indulge! As to your birdie, is it legal to send it to me and what type is it? If you have changed your mind about sending it, you may find that if you get a mate it will calm down and be quiet. Maybe. The other scenario is that they will try to outscream each other, never can tell . . .
@mfpsassy (2827)
I don't know if it legal I'll have to check lololol As for getting it a friend it use to have one and the two combined were horribly noisier. Talking to it doesn't help either. It's a cockatiel and I do believe the darn thing is almost as old as I am. So my luck even if it was legal to ship it to you it would probably have a heart attack. So I guess I better go find my earplugs lololol
@shelagh77 (3643)
Ah, yes, more than one is very much noisier as they not only talk to each other but they compete for your attention also. Cockatiels are best when you have them from a very young age and they bond with you. You don't even need to have them in their cage as they are very affectionate and fairly obedient. Older birds do not tend to bond so well. Even if your bird does not speak, he understands most of what you say. I think you are rather fond of him, anyway, and would not really part with him.
@rainbow (6763)
Hi Shelagh, I have no idea why this could be. I used to have a boyfriend about 15 years ago with a pet buzzard (rescued), his dad used to go shooting pigeons and crows for Billie the Buzzard and you would often walk into the house to the most fantastic smell of pigeon pie which they all tucked into although I never tried it as I was vegetarian at the time. All 3 men in the house were body builders and looked fantastic. As a wild bird there is far less fat and poisons from the farmers treating the birds with steroids etc.
@shelagh77 (3643)
Thanks for that rainbow! A second person who believes that a wild bird may possibly be healthier :-). Shame you were vegetarian at the time, but as you say, everyone was very healthy on their diet. I am going to be very unpopular in certain circles as I am certainly going to have some, the post above says game is regularly on the menu in Essex and I visit there quite frequently now. I shall be able to post whether I think it is a GOOD thing that pigeon is no longr on the menu once I have sampled the fare lol.
@rainbow (6763)
As long as it doesn't make you start body-building, lol.
@shelagh77 (3643)
absolutely not a change in this world or any other parallel universe lol.
@Lakota12 (42684)
I looked this up a littel bit and we no longer eat pigeons for all the stuff they eat now and where they live to survive would kill us like not ecoli but the other on seminola they carry this. and it also looked like some people rasie them in a clean place just for food that they are on the menu in some places
@shelagh77 (3643)
Thanks for that! However, most of the yucky stuff is destroyed if you put them into a very very very hot oven for the first twenty minutes. Clean food is such an issue these days, but actually it is rather pot luck. Even the birdies that are raised commercially can pick up infections and the irony is that they get them from the feed!
@Munira (484)
My guess is that pigeons are considered to the nuisance scavengers of most cities.
@shelagh77 (3643)
Yes, it is a great shame that their meat is contaminated so badly in the cities, especially where people are hungry. Happily in less polluted aras they are safer to eat.
@speqter (132)
Maybe because people realized that pigeons are cute. Same reason why we don't eat cats and dogs. Chickens and cows, on the other hand are not cute, and therefore could be eaten. So, are you cute?
@shelagh77 (3643)
Actually I think chickens and cows are cute too. I could not eat a pet. I am worried that people are becoming too dependent upon packaged foods and would not be able to survive a catastrophe though. As to cute, depends on your idea of cute. I am definitely, uncompromisingly, individually and unconventionally cute!
@ethanmama (1746)
Pigeon is still very much a part of Chinese cuisine. But I believe these pigeons are raised much like chickens.
@shelagh77 (3643)
Thank you for that. Yes, to be honest my Father always used to say the the "chicken" in a takeaway was most likely pigeon, and he was raised on pigeon pie etc, so I suppose he knew. I can't honestly see what the difference is, if one is a meat eater, between one tasty meat and another tasty meat. I must admit that I did not know that pigeons were commercially farmed for their meat though, so that is another thing I have learned thanks to you :-)
@tad1fan (3373)
We have them EVERYWHERE here in Canada where I live and I can honestly say that we call them "flighted rats",they have diseases,lice and anything else they can find....I'd NEVER eat them!
@shelagh77 (3643)
oh dear lol! You must be a soul mate of the Mayor of London, he calls them "winged rats" as well. I can't be authorative on diseases, but lice come off with the skin and feathers and anything left is incinerated during cooking. If a bird is eating in an obviously chemically polluted area, I would give it a miss, but I have often eaten wild rabbit, for example, and I have never been ill. I am merely pondering the profusion of wildlife which is regularly culled and then wastefully discarded. Then I thought, hmmmm I haven't seen pigeon on the menu for a very long time. Thank you again for your post. We have many food scares, and the majority of them originate from farmed animals, and I do not believe today there is any more risk from wild fowl than from farmed meat.
@gabs8513 (48716)
Well I do not believe that I have ever eaten Pigion but if I have no one told me. Which is probably a good job as I would have had to find the toilet very fast. I thought Pigeons are protected by Law? Maybe that is why.
@shelagh77 (3643)
Wood pigeons, magpies and jackdaws are protected by law, but ordinary pigeons are no more protected by law than chickens! I love birds and all creatures, but if you eat meat, you eat meat. I could not eat a pet pigeon but game bird on the menu is OK with me. I am not mocking your feelings, but you probably eat a chicken without thinking twice and pigeon is only a smaller bird. All animals killed for food have to be farmed and tended humanely and I am a 100% supporter of that. Thank you very much for your thoughts.
@brimia (6584)
I wonder if they just taste more gamey than chicken. Also, people see them eating junk food and trash on the streets so maybe they don't think the meat could be very good.
@shelagh77 (3643)
Thank you, that is a good point. I think people that enjoy game would enjoy pigeon, but yes, their diet is very suspect now days, and the town pigeons have a high concentration of pollutants in their meat. I think we are very wasteful in the UK. For example, there was a cull of a species of ducks which were over running another, more endangered species, but the meat was not eaten and the feathers were not utilised. What a waste. I suppose also that if pigeon did make a return to the menu board the way in which food is produced nowadays would make it more expensive than chicken.