Time OUT RefuSal WhAt ShoUld i Do

my kids refuse to stay in time out. I have an extra car seat in my living room corner. I have yet to strap them in it for a time out. I am afraid it is not leagal, and it may cause issues with them in the car??? I am so bumm fuzzzaledd
Well first you have to ask yourself, why are they finding it okay to disobey? my two year old would never ever get out of time out unless i said he could and im not like a crazy child beater either. have you been inconsistent in the past or have they seen you inconsistent with another child or something? children absorb so much and the person who said the thing about the nannies is correct, you need to just make them go back each time they get out until they take you seriously. sometimes the husband can also be a very useful backup tool. (lord knows i use mine whenever i can so i am not always the bad guy)
I do tend to let them get away with alot
Try literally babysitting them when you put them into time out. Tell them they are going to time out, tell them why and take them to the corner. Put them there and tell them they have to stay there until their time is up. If they get up, pick them up and put them back there. Keep doing this. Let them know that you MEAN it and that you aren't going to back down. Eventually, they should just give up, and you should be able to walk away. When you get to this point, you've really made it. After their time is up, come back and tell them what they did wrong and tell them that's why they were put in time out. Remember, they are only in time out as long as they are old. EX. a 5 year old child is in time out for 5 minutes. A 3 year old is in time out 3 minutes..etc.
I have done that... I just tend to give up
@Mamaof4 (222)
I personally ground them, or take away their most precious toy. If they're young enough, put them in the corner. If they're young enough, I say go and strap them in that car seat, just so they'll learn. It usually just takes kids one time and they'll learn their lesson. Good luck!