Family Lies

@rosebug23 (1909)
Australia
I have started tracing my family but finding it very hard . My mother (now not with us any longer) told me her mothers maiden name, she told me that both her parents had been married previously and their partners had died. My grandmother was from wales and they both had kids from their first marriages and herself and one brother were full siblings the other 3 were only half siblings. All my uncles and aunts were on good terms&i never questioned anything. Anyway when my mum died i found her birth certificate and was shocked to find that my mums mum was born in aust and that all the siblings were from the same mother and father and my grandmothers maiden name was different to what i had been told . the only truth that i was told was that my grandmother died when my mum was 6yrs old. I don't know what else is true that i have been told. Why do families have lies , i cant understand why i was told this & i must add that my grandfather (her dad) told me the same story.My mum had to have known the truth as she has seen her birth certificate i know this for a fact as i found it with her personal papers in her home when she died. It just seems such a silly lie & i can find no reason for it . Have you found any family lies or do you have an explination for my mumus lie
@claudia413 (4284)
No such lies in our family, as far as I know. I've even been told that the reason my mother's father changed their name when they came to the US was to escape being known as a descendant of a horse thief. I have always wondered if that was true or not. LOL. I'm sorry your mum felt she had to lie to you, and I sure do wonder why she felt she had to lie.
@rosebug23 (1909)
Yes it is a complete mystery as there seem to be no reason for it
@anne_143god (5390)
There is no such lies in our family.
@baysmummy (1639)
This happens in alot of families and from what i can gather it is only ever when there is something they want to hide! We honestly have no secrets like that in my family which i think is how it should be, My nan was raped when she was 16 and that is how my mum was conceived so to me that would be plenty of reason to lie but no my entire family has been upfront and honest about everything! Although i must admit my sisters and i each have a different dad and well until 10 years ago my mum never told my sister who her dad was, it has all come out now because my mum decided it was time to be honest but no no secrets taken to the grave witht them!