Do you homeschool?

@indywahm (808)
I homeschooled my children when they were younger ,but because there were not alot of things around where we live for sports and other programs that a homeschooled child could do we put them in school and they have done great. You always hear that homeschooled kids are anti social etc. But I think it is the exact opisite. My kids can talk to anybody and they do a ton of social things, My daughter is in drama club, debate club, young republicans and went to meet pres. bush last year, my son plays all sports and plans to be in drama club when he gets in high school. I went to public schools my whole school life and I am very shy and introverted.
I was going to home school my daughter but she really wanted to go to school. She Was asking to go since the age of 3 so although it was against what I thought was best for her I sent her to school. I thought it was one of the best schools in my area, but in fact I was wrong and they aren't teaching her very well at all, so I am still homeschooling her (as I have since she was 2) in addition to her school work. They are way behind. For example at school she is learning to add on 1 or 2 to a number and at home we are doing multiplication and at school they are teaching her 3 letter phonic words whereas at home I am teaching her words with more than one letter at the front and a range of endings like ing, ed etc. I think a lot of people put their faith in the school system assuming they know the best for their child and I think if you homeschool the children recieve a much better education.
We're just starting into homeschooling our son. I was homeschooled some of the time I was growing up and so was my younger sister. It didn't affect me much one way or another. My younger sister says that it made her less sociable because there wasn't much chance for interaction where she was living at the time that she started. My son is VERY sociable and I don't think it will slow him down any.We also have one huge bonus though. There's a very good homeschool association nearby that has it's own sports teams,newspaper for the kids,classes offered for homeschoolers,homeschool library,Oddessy of the Mind teams,Spelling and Geology bees,etc.Our son's only 5 so isn't old enough for much yet, but we're going to have more of a problem trying to concentrate on schoolwork than on finding ways for him to be around others.
I'm glad that you live in such a great area for homeschoolers. I wish that it was more like that around here but my dd sure isn't missing out on any socialization any since she's involved in a lot of things. As far as your sister saying she's antisocial, that could happen to anyone. I went to private schools and I'm not very social. I have about 5 friends and I'm happy. Brenda Marie Homeschool 4 Us (My homeschool blog): http://homeschool4us.blogspot.com/ My ebook: "Homeschooling Without The Headaches" http://stores.lulu.com/store.php?fAcctID=812683
Yeah. The whole social/antisocial thing really can apply to just about anyone. I went through public schools,private schools and homeschool. I was always shy and kind of standoffish no matter what type of school I was in. I didn't even have the homeschooling until I was in my teens so it's not likely that it started there :)I think a lot really just depends on the person involved.
@CatEyes (2449)
I was homeschooled and loved it. I grad. early at age 16 and never regret not going to public school. I hate it when people think you are stupid are make snide comments to me when they find out about my background, but all of my employers said that they saw a huge difference. I think it has a lot to do with the persons personality. I wish I could homeschool my child, but my husband won't let me. He is sooo against it.
I'm sorry to hear that your husband is so against it. Is there any way that you can get him to reconsider?
My husband and I homeschool our girls and while they aren't involved in a whole lot of activities they do play with others a lot. As far as introvert/extrovert I think that is more of a personality type. I went to PS and am an introvert. My dh is an extrovert and also went to PS. My oldest is an extrovert and will talk to anyone, anytime. My youngest is an introvert. They were both homeschooled.