My sisters son

@AnnaB87 (761)
My sister called me the other day to tell me she was calling social services on her sons school. (the reason why was because that a teacher knowingly gave him something he was allergic to, and then said that it was okay that he had a reaction) So when she called social services they were not overly concerned. So now she has contacted a lawyer to sue both social services and the school. He child has severe allergies the kind that can kill you. He also had a reaction that she was not told about but found out about because her son told her as did another student in the class, plus when she took him to the doctor the same day of the reaction the doctor wanted to know how much medication she had to give him, The school had medicated him and not told her. After giving him peanuts he is very allergic to this another student told her that the teacher gave his friend peanuts then he fell down in the floor and the teacher put him to be for a long time. (these kids are 4 and 5 years old) If she had purposely given him foods she knew he was allergic to would she not be charged with child endangerment or neglect or something? So why is the school not being held to the same standard? Also the doctor has called the school numerous times, and is willing to go to court because of this. Do you think that this could be goin on because her son is mixed and she does live in an area that is judgemental. Of Asians especially.
@imsilver (1668)
oh my. Of course I think your sister should go after the school. For so many different reasons. I cannnot believe this happened. I can't imagine it happening in my childrens school. Especially with a peanut allergy. That's one of the worst. I help with a breakfast program that we have at the school. At recess time, we make up toast for the kids who are hungry. Sometimes it's cheese and toast but other times it's peanut butter and jelly. We have a couple kids that have peanut allergies in the school who attend the program. We have VERY strict rules about how it works. The knife that is used for the peanut butter is not allowed to come into contact with anything else. If it does we just throw it in the sink and grab a new one because even washing it doesn't necessarily remove ALL the peanut traces. And for them to have to medicate her son and then not even think about mentioning that to her is so wrong. They wouldn't do that here. My daughter has issues with her teeth but the school phones me and I bring the medicine to school and give it to her myself. I hope your sister gives them all what they deserve.
@AnnaB87 (761)
My sisters son is allergic to a lot of foods not just peanuts, but any kind of nuts, and eggs, milk, breads, any dairy products really, Shellfish, (he had a very bad reaction to that, she left him with our cousin and told them what he could and could not have, well and they made rice, which would of been fine except they cooked it with scrimp, and then picked out the scrimp thinking he could then eat it anyway, no that sent him to the emergency room, it nearly killed him) I think that sometimes people just do not take food allergies as seriously as they should. Food allergies can be deadly. Especially when it is because of something like celiatic disease. (I am not sure I spelled that write) Anyway with him if someone gives him a cookie or a piece of cake or even candy they could kill him. I think that before anyone offers anyones child something they should double check with the parents first and then listen. Because there may be a reason the parent says no,
@Myrrdin (3601)
Well, what can I say, this is terrible. Allergies should not be taken lightly. I have had allergies all my life and I have had to threaten restaurants with lawsuits in order for them to double check recipes for fish content before. I could see it happening once by accident, but regardless the parents should have been informed immediately, I know that even with my EpiPen it is still recommended I get to a hospital ASAP if I ingest seafood. I think the school and the teacher should be taken to task on this one, it is a foul up of the worst sort. As to the possible racism connection, unfortunately you'll never know for sure, and it would be hard to demonstrate in court, I'd stick with the child endangerment issues and leave it at that.
@Myrrdin (3601)
From what you have told us on this thread it sounds like that school really needs a good lawsuit. If a doctor told them what his special needs are they either meet them or don't give him food period. To do otherwise is child endangerment.
I have sever allergies myself. I have a shot and ,or I walk with meds. If the child had knowledge of being allergic. he should not have eaten the peanuts. If the teacher has a class full of students and forgot of this. Then gives the kids a treat. Now she should be sued and jailed etc. Talk to the school again about the allergies. Place the peanut in front of the child and,let them know if ever given this DON"T eat it. If I put a drop od soy milk on my lip.? I have about 3 minutes before my throat closes up. My daughter knew at that age not to leave her soy milk in any glass unmarked around me. Along with sea foods etc. The boy has to know right or wrong here. I would no think they are giving the boy peanuts because your Asian. I may be dumb but I thought all Asians ate peanuts as well as blue people. For the school to medicate him I would be thankful of this. They could have left him on the floor and waited for parental permission. I would never be mad for someone saving my childs life.
@AnnaB87 (761)
The school did not want to tell her that he had had a reaction, and the teacher does not treat him as well as he does the other children. And it is a marked difference, he is a very smart little boy, But he is also just turned three years old, (I was thinking he was four but he is not I just asked my sister) He is advanced for his age in speaking (he can speak fluently in two languages and is currently learning a third language) Also it was not his regular teacher, his regular teacher told this other teacher he could not have this but when she did the other teacher informed her that she had been teaching kids longer than she had, and that she would give any of the kids whatever she wanted to including him, Then before someone could stop her she did, and most three year olds are very trusting of adults who are in charge over them, and if I were to hand the average three year old a cupcake with peanut sprinkles on it, along with a room full of their closest friends I am pretty sure that they would take a bite or two of that cupcake. Especially if it was decorated to attract the attention of a child. Anyway, the doctor and my sister has been trying to get my nephew to gain weight, but because there is a limit to what he can safely eat and sometimes what he can eat today he can't tommorrow, he is having problems gaining weight, So what happens when he has a reaction to anything he decides all foods even what he can eat is poison and will basically not eat. It is just not a good situation. Also I would never be mad at someone for saving my childs life either, but what I would be mad about and what my sister is mad about is the fact taht they knowingly gave him something he was allergic to and then he had a reaction, and then they did not tell her about the reaction, she had to find it out later from her son and his friend and had to go ask the teachers because the doctor wanted to know how much medication he was given, and the school does not want to tell her how much they gave him. So the doctor had to call the school. Anyway, this is the case of saving a child after making them sick.
I think the school as well as the teacher should be held responsible for what happened to your sister's son. I'm not sure I would say that it had anything to do with him being of a mixed race, I think it was simply done through neglect. At least I would HOPE it wasn't because of that! I think you should definitely take action against them before this happens to some other child!
@ronita34 (3923)
Wow ... I am ver glad that your friend has decided to go to court and sue the school as this is just wrong. If his Teacher did in fact know then yes i am positive tht your friend will also be successful in court also! I just can not figure out what is wrong with some people these days? I mean not even school is safe anymore what is going on!
@ronita34 (3923)
Your sister sorry!
@AnnaB87 (761)
I don't know what is wrong with people either, my daughter just told me something not good too. Anyway, I wish I knew how to make things safe for everyone. But I do not know.
@Lakota12 (42684)
hope she i ssuing both school and teacher she knew and still gave peanuts thats not god the teacher should also lose her job for this If mother had done it they wouls probably took child away from her and put her in jail . Same should happen to the teacher social service too how dumb of them
@rsa101 (15483)
• Quezon City, Philippines
I guess your sister has a reason to sue these people. But then, you should bear in mind that suing them would take some time. So it is better to have lots of patience in this kind of things. Hope everything gets settled in their favor.
@Bunny2 (2102)
That's atrocious! I don't know why the teacher did this - but negligence is not allowable when it comes to trhe life of a child or person. Also, the mother should have been informed immediately. Food allergies are not to be taken lightly. I believe your sister should bring charges against the school and the teacher. It's just not good enough. A mistake is bad enough but mediating without telling and not telling them in the first place is abhorrent. The next time it might be too late by the time the child gets treatment.
@emeraldisle (13145)
I'm glad your nephew is all right. That is good. Now your sister needs to do some things. She should call the police. What the teacher did endangered her son's life but on top of that she adminstered a medication without a licsence. That is a crime. Then call a lawyer and file a suit. I'd also call the press and let them know all about it. I would not let the school board just sweep this under the rug. The more who know about it the more they can't ignore it. If this woman did this with your son she could do it with others and at some point she might not be able to save them. She needs to be stopped before she kills someone with her negligence.
That is just horrible. That kind of behavior sickens me. I hope they get in serious trouble!
@Halozer (26)
• Portugal
Thats bad. I don't really know an answer, because I don't really know what to do in that situation.
@SageMother (2277)
It sounds like the teacher cannot keep up with all the health conditions of the kids. She might not have known how serious the allergy was because there are someplaces that don't share that information with the people who are actually dealing with the kids. Now. Is the sister's goal to make money, or to bring a problem to light? If she wishes to actually cause change she need to call the local newspaper and get them involved. She needs to call the regulatory agency for childcare centers. Social Service won't do anything unless you go to the regulatory agency, at least m-in my state, with issues like this. This is where you report neglect and endangerment of the sort you are addressing. Suing the daycare might close it down, but that is about all. Once the insurance for the business has paid out, IF they pay out on the claim, there will be no other recourse. There might be a little money but, because suing takes this issue into CIVIL court, there is no need for a speedy resolution. The insurance company can dely until the affected child is over 21. If no apparent permanent damage has occured the insurance company will then argue that there was no harm done and so there is no need for payment...they will work to prove there are no damages. Your sis should try to get reimbursed of the visit to the doctor and the medications, she should contact the regulatory agency, and seek advice about going to the newspapers. The experience you are having has NOTHING to do with your being Asian...it is how the USA treats people in general...trust me on that one.
I am so mad just reading this. If it were my child, I'd be calling the regulatory boards, the local newspapers and news stations, and maybe even the government. What that teacher did was absurd. It was abusive, and endagered the life of a child. She should go to jail.