Help me get rid of these mice!!

I have mice in my kitchen at night, and it is driving my insane. I set traps, but others come. I put out vinegar, but they avoid it. I plug up holes, but I guess they make new ones. I put all my food away and wash my dishes right after using them and vacuum the floor constantly, but they still want to be in my kitchen. How can I get rid of them? Do I just have to suffer until it is warm enough that they want to stay outside? Help!
@KimMaple (1195)
Ohhh I feel sorry for you, we had that problem in our other house, but since living here the past year, we haven't had problems. We would just use the simple trap with cheese or peanut butter on it and it took awhile but eventually we caught them. We had a family of mice. Sounds like some great tips here. Good luck.
Amen!
@destroyer (785)
• Pakistan
seems like you have an infestation on your hands! I think you ought to call in an exterminator to get rid of these mice! since you have tried all what readily comes to mind, i think its time you call in the professionals!
Yeah I am starting to think so too.
@nelltx (277)
Try getting some moth balls & putting them in sandwich bags, punch a few holes in the bags so the aroma can get out, and then place them in the cabinets where you have seen the mice. If you have children, be careful though, mothballs are poison. This will make your house smell a bit "musty" for about 3 days, but after that I promise you won't see mice! You can replace the mothballs about every six months. This is also good for keeping away snakes. There is something in the smell of moth balls that small rodents, snakes & ants don't like. Go figure.
Oh, that is interesting, I think I will give that one a try.
@Capsicum (1444)
I don't think you have them because you are dirty . If you have one you are most likely going to have more.Have you tried poison ? If you have caught more than 5 or 6 and they are still coming around you might need to get a professional ,like bugs they breed fast! Where they are has alot to do with how you will get rid of them also, some places are feeding and breeding grounds .If you haven't tried traps they can be very effective with peanut butter. If all else fails call the pro. to do the job they could be chewing in your walls ruining your foundation . Good luck on getting rid of them .
@sizzle3000 (3040)
Getting rid of mice is a pain in the butt. I live in the county and I have to chace mice all the time. I have a hamper in my kitchen where I keep bread and rolls. All food is put aways and the conters wiped down but they still come. It is cold outside and your home is warm. Winder is the time I have to fight mice during the summer they seem to go out side. I am sorry but I poison them. They are very smart. I lined my counter with glue traps and the little bugger did not get caught by one. I use several poisons, because I may kill one or two and the rest learn. I have sat and watched a mouse jump over a glue trap and totaly go around a snap trap. I have chased these little critters through my house trying to kill them with a fly swatter or a shoe. I hate the mess. When you fill the wholes that you find make sure you use brillo bads or something like them. The will chew on the metal particals in the brillo and it will kill them. Good Luck.
@cjsmom (1423)
We live in the boondocks of Illinois and I'll tell ya, we get mice like crazy throughout the year; unless of course it's freezing...lol The only thing that has worked for us and we get it at Walmart...We used to get, I don't know the brand name but they are squares of what look like compressed sawdust or granola. They are brown in color and you should be able to see what they look like through the pkg. But they stopped selling those, so we found ones that are turqouise-like in color blocks; they work just as well. I'll tell you, if it weren't for those little blocks, I'd be going nuts with all the mice 'poop'...Put a block under your sink, in the back of your bottom cabinets and in pantry or in back of food cabinets... They work great! They nibble it and take it to their little buddies and it's all over...We also have like a crawl space sort of under the house. Husband throws a whole pkg. down there in different places... Hope this may help you a bit...
@ukchriss (2103)
Other than traps, poison and the getting a cat or two the only other thing i can think of is those plug in Ultrasonic sound units, those have above the range of human hearing but have limited use in rodent control because they are directional and do not penetrate behind objects. Also, they lose their intensity quickly with distance. There is little evidence that sound of any type will drive established mice or rats from buildings because they rapidly become accustomed to the sound. So I would call in a reputable pest control service to get rid of them. Just one female mouse can give birth to a dozen babies — about 7 or 8 times per year! And considering that each new-born female becomes fertile in about 8 weeks, your mouse infestation problem can quickly get right out of hand! We had just one in our shed just a few weeks ago and he did loads of damage by eating through things! I wish you luck
my dad is a pest controller so i think i can help u these things available in market called gumpads they r strong adhesive pads and are non toxic just put them in ur house (where mice r the most ) and put some cheese on each of them... once mice r stuck they die of heart attack and then dispose them off
awww thats wicked, hehe just get the cats then the cats will give the mic a heart attack hehe
Yeah that sounds really gross.
@finlander60 (1775)
If you really want to get rid of your mice problem, I know something that works EVERYTIME. Be very careful with this method. It works the same on all living creatures. Get a small bag of QuikCrete. This is instant concrete. Put some in a saucer. Put some water in another saucer. Put them both close together. The animals will eat the dry concrete mix and then get thirsty. Do you see what is going to happen? Bye, bye, mice. Bye, bye anything else that eats it, too. I guarantee this will work everytime. Good luck. Get yourself a cat to keep this problem from happening in the future, too.
Oh, that's terrible. And yet I am laughing... :-)
Make sure you get a can of that expanding foam insolation and fill in all the spaces around your pipes coming in the house. Like under the sink, etc... This stuff gets rock hard and we have found that has really helped. Make sure to put peanut butter on your traps, they can't resist it.
The only thing I could suggest is get an exterminator. It seems that your doing everything in your power to get rid of them. I had mouse in my house when I lived in New York. I wasn't able to get rid of them. Instead we just sold that old dump of a farm house to a Real Estate Developer who torn the place down and put up six new houses. Most of the time, mice come from construction work.
Yeah, my neighbor just took down all the bushes that line the back of our yard, and I think they are taking out their loss of a home by coming into mine.
I have to say your in a bind here. I was infested with rats in one apartment and mice in another. I have read all of the response you have received. Rate all A+. You have to read them and do what your comfortable with. I put clorox on my counters every night. Black pepper all behind my stove. I did it all. a family friend is so infested with mice. He sleeps on the floor by the way. The mice are all over him at night. he couldn't think of anything more. He put black pepper all around the bed it worked. Now this works as well. But,some had a issue with the smell. Go tot the health food store. Buy oil of peppermint. Get gloves on your hands. place the oil on new cotton balls. The mice will eat this and die. I know others who have done it and it works.
Interesting...
@acquaria (719)
My parents diffused on the corners of their kitchen a poison to fight against the mice and they also put in a box spread of glue o piece of cheese.When the mouse went to eat the cheese it blocked there.I wish you good luck!!
LOL, now that is creative.
• Pakistan
Well I had the same problem sometime ago but I got rid of those critters by using poison pills for rodents. just use it with some food and place them in the place where mice usually hang around and make sure that no children or pets eat the poison and you will get rid of the mice in 24 hours :)
Hmm, maybe if I put some in my crawl space...
@TerryZ (22083)
The only way you can get rid of them and keep them away is by getting a cat. I have 3 cats and the first year I was here they got rid of all the mice. and mice know when you have a cat they wont come in. That is one thing I hate the most is mice because they will chew things up and wires too. And talk about germs they are the dirtest creatures on this earth you can get sick if you just have them in your home. Good luck and get that cat.
As much as I would like to, I don't think the dog would allow it.
A few years ago we had mice in our house. At night we would hear them running in the walls. We didnt know what it was till one of our cats killed and brought us a baby mouse when she (the cat) was outside. Our family bought some mouse "pelts" that they put in various parts where the mice would come eat them. The mice would then dry up and die quickly. I think they go them at like home depot or somewhere. I always felt bad having them do this, knowing we were killing these mice. But we knew we couldnt contain the mice so we had to do something. I think at least twice mice would come in the house and we'd catch them and take them to the park. So mind you, we werent out to kill ALL the mice but the majority. And it WORKED too! So thats my only advice to you. Hope it helps! :)
Here is a link to a discussion I responded to. She has a good idea for helping to solve this problem. http://www.mylot.com/w/discussions/797086.aspx
i think that mice saw the movie MOUSE HUNT.... make it ur frnd
The peple who lived in our house before us had mice! We have cats and the house no longer has mice at all! When we moved in I cleanedand repinted all the surfaces under cabinets and walls behand them etc.... I also have three cats and at night for the first couple of months I left the cabinets open allowing the cats to go in anf out of them, I would rather rewash some dishes than deal with mice! My cats would bring me them as little presents! then after about a month No more mice best mouse deterent ever! Good luck!
Really we are more tensed about this matter.Since they(mice) are tiny in size they could not be easily caught.There are only two suggestions for this matter. One thing is u can adopt a cat in ur house.So it may look after the mice.The other is using some poison method, just use paste,biscuits which are commonly available in the market specially prepared for mice.