For those of you who like gardening ...

A green plant - A lovely green plant with white veins on leaves.
Australia
Have you ever taken "cuttings" when you're at the Garden Centre?! Is there anyone else out there that does this or am I the only nutter! lol. I took one a while ago, I have no idea what it is, it's some sort of green plant with small green flowers. I put it in a pot with some rooting powder and watched it grow then planted it out in my garden. It's doing really well and looks wonderful!
@ossie16d (11834)
Not so much now as I prefer to keep the gardening down to a minimum, mostly because when we are away we need someone else to look after it for us. That means easy care plants, they will still survive if they are forgotten for a few days. LOL However I used to often swap cutting with friends and other people I knew. I had a large garden, with a huge variety of plants, when we had the farm and most of them started out as cuttings, although we did buy some trees to plant as well. I have been known to take cutting from the various plants around the medical clinic we go to and they have all taken. It was a bit funny, because thinking that sometimes some of them will not grow, I actually took a lot more than I wanted. But wouldn't you know it, they all came up and grew nicely, overcrowding everything else I had in the garden. That meant I then had to pull some of them out, and luckily I was able to give them to other people and not throw them out, which would have been unfortunate I think. But that will teach me, not sure what it will teach me but bound to be some lesson in their for me. Maybe it is not to take more than I need, or maybe it is simply that those who pinch things will be punished. :) We also have heaps of herbs. Actually last year we were looking after a house for friends for a few weeks and they asked me to prune back some of their garden. Thanks very much for all the seeds, most of which are still not planted I might add, or rather it was another case where I bought home a lot more than I needed. LOL
I also take cuttings when i'm out and about. I took some lovely red geranium cuttings from a hospital I was at, but sadly they didn't take. Those who pinch things will be punished lol - I like that one! Still, that won't stop me having a go at a few cuttings from Bunnings! Thanks for the great response Ossie ;) LOL
@WebMann (4732)
I love taking cuttings from friends and my home is starting to look like a jungle. I like plants that are green and I don't really care about the flowing kind so much. I just started two plants. One is an umberalla tree, not sure what the real name is, and the other is a praying hands plant. All the leaves fold together at night and they look like praying hands. I didn't even know I could take a cutting from either of these but it worked great.
Howdy WM! I love green plants too, and especially find ones with green flowers very interesting. I love herbs in particular, both for their usefullness in the kitchen and as pest repellants (oh and also for their medicinal properties). I have an incredibly large umbrella tree which at the moment needs to be repotted into a much larger pot. I've never heard of the praying hands plant - but it sounds really cool - a moving plant eh? Interesting! Thanks for responding ;) & have a good day.
@JoyfulOne (6243)
I would never think of doing that at the Gardening store, much less do it. My only thought is that if everybody did that there would be some poor looking plants for sale. I would, however, ask a friend if I could take a cutting, or slip, of one of their plants to start a new one.
Oh dear, I'm a bit of a naughty one then aren't I? Thanks for responding lol ;)