Is intelligence inherited by children or cultivated by parents?

@babykay (2133)
Ireland
do you believe that a child's intelligence is determined by what genes he or she inherits or do you believe that having a baby is like having a blank canvas? There are various scientific theories some of which we are familar with but what do you think? My theory is that each individual is born with a set capacity for reaching a certain level of proficiency in any given area, but their experiences will determine how much of their capacity is reached. What they learn will determine how they deal with their genes. In the rare cases when someone has a lot of potential in a given area and this part of their brain is stimulated at the right time, they become highly proficient in an area and are called a genius.
@wmg2006 (5386)
I think it may be a little of both. I have a gifted child with a very high IQ. I had no idea where he got this from, but as we were testing him for various things and both parents had to be tested too. They found we also had very high IQ's, which surprised me a lot. I was always told I had behavior problems in school but nothing else. one of my ex teachers told me I had a very high IQ and that was the cause of the problems. I asked her why I was never told this and she said it was not something anyone discussed when I was growing up. My point is a LOT is inherited and the rest is learned.
@babykay (2133)
Glad to hear this as my husband is very intelligent.
@Netsbridge (3242)
Although some people are born with the appropriate genes (which I believe the result of the parents' healthy habits), intelligence can also be cultivated. Humans naturally learn (formally or informally) from observations, experiences and guided instructions. Therefore, if a child is raised and educated in a good and positive environment, regardless of inherited genes, the child is bound to be intelligent (although rate of learning may vary for some depending on inherited genes).
@mythmoh (3989)
the inherited intelligence will not do wonders if it is not supported by intelligence the children gain due to education,experience and knowledge about a particular domain.So i think parents will be playing a major role in the intelligence of the kid.They should know about the child,his/her interest and they should encourage them to excel in their interest inorder to become genius.
When my siblings and I were still young, our parents would let us enrol in an art school, dance class, music class, sports class and whatever class they could think of during summers. My dad once explained to me that the reason why they are doing that it's because that is one way we could determine what field are we into, whether we like music more than arts or dance than sports, etc. In that way, they can identify what we are capable of. Talent is also considered as part of intelligence. To test our academic intelligence, they would like to know also our performance in school especially on what subjects do we escel the most. As you can see, intelligence of the child would first be determined by his or her genes. If the parents are more into the mathematical aspects, mostly the child will also possess that too. But everything will stilll depend on the environment that the child is being brought up and the experiences that they have been. Just like what you've said, it will always depend on what your experiences are.
@babykay (2133)
It sounds very good that you were exposed to a variety of stimuli as a child.
i think genes play an imp. role in the starting ages of child's intelligence...aftr that many factors r there to affect his intelligence level...like environment in which he live ...people with whom he spends time..and the type of trainig or education he's getting..otherwise i think genes are the factors that give identity to the child's intelligence.
@babykay (2133)
This is why it is important to get a good mix of genes.
@avs189 (1030)
I think intelligence is really inherited cultivated by the individual himself with the help of his own efforts ...whats use of talent without hard work...????? so i feel rather than above two hard-work is more important...
@djmarion (4901)
both...it can be inherited but even though, one should make the move of enhancing his ability all the more.
I think in order to be a genius you need to have some inborn ability and be put into a good learning situation so they can work on that. I certainly think that you can't push a child further than their own individual ability, but also, we don't make the best use of our brains so we need to work on new ways of learning so that people can do better with what they are born with.
@cerium (691)
I agree. Nothing scientific that I know, but I think that both factors are considered. I think that inheritance plays a role in sharing certain qualities between a parent and a child. On the other hand, the experiences gained by these children (due to their education, or due to the way their parents raising them up) can increase their abilities in certain aspects.