Why are hamburgers called hamburgers when they're not make of ham?

It makes no sense!
@rhinoboy (2129)
it appears to make no sense, but really it makes all the sense in the world. Hamburgers are indeed made from beef, but I think that the name is due to them originating from Hamburg, Germany?!
AAhh that'll explain it. Are you sure?
@rhinoboy (2129)
Nobody can ever be sureof anything with absolute certainty, my friend. For hundreds, if not thousands of years, people were absolutely sure that the world was flat and you could sail off the edge, until it was proven otherwise.
Thats a good point Rhinoboy, your words of wisdom shll stay with me forever!
@andrika (386)
well, may be in your countri every burger called hamburger. but in my country, there is chicken burger, beef burger, fish burger, cheese burger and sausage burger.
well we have different burgers like chicken burgers cheese burgers etc, not sure about sausage. sOmetimes people call hamburgers beef burgers but others call the same thing hamburgers.
i've never give much thought to the problem(--,)
I have often wondered this.
@abhax123 (1697)
Ther its why its called so tjis is so because inside there is ham which was burgered into a pattie thats why its called ham burger....!
Its not ham tho, ham is made of pork, its beef!
... never thought about this... You're right! no sense!