Do you believe in mythical creatures like dragons and phoenix?

I have always been facinated by mythical creatures. My favourite is the dragon, but I also like things like gargoyles and the phoenix. There are so many tales around the world that feature these creatures, I wonder, did they ever really exist? Do you believe in dragons?
I have always been fascinated by mythical creatures as well. Dragons are my favorite followed by gargoyles and unicorns. A lot of times when a friend is shopping for me for Christmas or my birthday, if they have no clue what to get me I usually get something with a dragon on it lol. Some friends even call me the dragon-lady lol. I love dragons and have for years now.
A fellow dragon lover,fantastic. I must admit my collection of dragons is threatening to overflow in my house - lol
I believe in dragons. In fact, I am one. Okay, so that sounds a little corny, or maybe even a little whacked out, but there is a reason I make that statement. Honestly. I was born in a Year of the Dragon on the chinese calendar. So I am a real, live, actual dragon. Okay, so I'm pushing that a bit :). But, back to topic a bit, I can't say I've always been fascinated by dragons, but I have pondered the potential or prior existence of dragons myself off and on since sometime around 1996. At some points I have believed (or, at least, have successfuly convinced myself that I believed) that dragons do in fact exist. Some possible scenarios include, but are not limited to, that they are shape-changed by choice to blend in and survive, that they are existing on a spiritual plane in contact with our own, and that they are in a forced shape-change and cannot return to their true forms unless some Great Event happens. I tend to lean more towards the spiritual-type theories than the shape-changed ones. To me, dragons are far and away the most impressive mythical creatures. I have a preference for the western type of dragon, and generally picture them as having 6 appendages: 2 wings, 2 forelimbs, and 2 rear legs. Of course, that's not the only type out there, but if you are a dragon connoisseur, you already know that :) Did they ever really exist? It's possible. Do I believe in dragons? I believe it's possible that there are dragon spirits that may help and guide us. They may just be a type of Christian angel (heresy!), for all that I know. My tired $0.02 at the moment.
Your tired $0.02 worth is very thought provoking. I, too, prefer the Celtic or Western style of dragon. Thank you so much for your comments.
@LadyLeene (584)
I wouldn't rule out the possibility of them existing on some different level of existence, like maybe the astral plane. However, I do not think they ever existed on Earth as physical creatures. I think that things happened like they do in China, where people see things and mistake them for other things---a prime example being that dinosaur bones are often sold as dragon bones for various folk treatments and potions. I really, really, really like dragons, too, which is a big part of the reason I know about the bone thing. :) I'd like to think that dragons are real.
I read an interesting theory that dinosaurs were, in fact, dragons. When you check into myths from around the world, particularly in the Orient, there are so many tales about dragons that I feel that had to exist. Blessed be and thank you for your comment
@deebomb (15347)
Stories of dragons have been handed down for gener -  Even some living lizards look like dragons and it is easy to see how a larger variety of such an animal could frighten a community.
I do belive that dragons exist,but not as we think of them. Marco Polo reported in 1271 that on special occasions the royal chariot was pulled by dragons and in 1611 the emperor appointed the post of a "Royal Dragon Feeder." Books even tell of Chinese families raising dragons to use their blood for medicines and highly prizing their eggs. The familiar story of Beowulf and the legend of Saint George slaying a dragon, which are well-known in the annals of English literature, likely have some basis in fact. So you see why I believe that they did and possibly still do exist. The familiar story of Beowulf and the legend of Saint George slaying a dragon, which are well-known in the annals of English literature, likely have some basis in fact. The familiar story of Beowulf and the legend of Saint George slaying a dragon, which are well-known in the annals of English literature, likely have some basis in fact. So you see why I do believe that they existed and maybe still do just not as we picture them. Here is a very nice web site that deals with them. http://www.genesispark.com/genpark/history/history.htm
Wow cool, thanks for that. I will check this out.
@lvap0628 (731)
I would like to believe that these mythical creatures did exist or may still exist today in some dimension or other. Take Chinese astrology for instance. Out of the 12 signs, we say that the dragon is the only one that is not real. Come on, if dragons did not exist why would the Chinese include this animal?
Very true, so much of the artwork around the world features dragons too, so it's more than likely they did exist in some form
@Ravenladyj (22992)
I dont know if they were ever real or not but I still find them absolutley remarkable...And actually the Phoenix is one of my totems....the Dragon is my sons though I've not narrowed it down any more than that.....
Wow that is so cool hun. A close friend of mine has the name "Phoenix" and he has a gorgeous painting of a phoenix on his living room wall.
@unuzzz (1274)
hmm not really actually, but i do believe dragon does exist, but maybe in other form i watched a dvd, 'when dragons made real'.. and after that, i got another opinion about its existence the story tells about how a dragon might fly, or how it could possibly breath fire.. interesting, check it out
Cool I will go looking for that hun, thanks for your comments
Dragon cutting I did freehand scherenschnitte silh - This is an old art. I cut it out with a pair of scissors freehand. 
http://mgcreativearts.com/Finall.wmv
If you click on that, you will see how I cut.
You can look at my website to see more difficult ones:
www.mgcreativearts.com
Or check my shop on line. I can do a dragon on a request.
http://www.cafepress.com/margieanneart
No honey, I don't believe in them, sorry. But, they do fasinate me as they are mythical creatures.
Thank you for your words, and your artwork is gorgeous.
@xParanoiax (7005)
Well..*scratches myhead* I don't know about dragons or gargoyles or phoenixes. It's entirely possible, I really wouldn't be surprised if they were. *hesitates* I've met a few faeries though, them and Shadow people, ghosts, and I know a couple vampires..so anything 'strange' dosn't really surprise me anymore. BUT I'd have to think if the creatures you mentioned ARE real they'd probably be alot different than the stories about them tell..reality's usually alot stranger than fiction lol.
They do say that truth is stranger than fiction, and I wonder exactly what they would really look like. There are so many strange, wierd and wonderful creatures in old myths and tales, I'm sure they do exist in some form.
@draconess (651)
I've also been fascinated with mythological creatures since I was a little kid. Dragons place prominently in my artwork, and I have so many drawings, paintings, posters, and statues of them all over my home. I love that each person can imagine them differently, there are so many legends from different countries that portray them in such different ways, it leaves a lot up to your imagination.
I have often dreamed of a golden dragon, strong but gentle, who looks over me as a guardian. Perhaps I'm a little bit wierd, but there is something so magical about dragons. Thank you for your comments
@pyewacket (43962)
Heheehe...gee, one would never guessed you liked dragons..LOL...I love the phoenix too..but my all time favorite is the winged horse like Pegasus...As for my belief in such creatures..why of course I believe in them!! ;-)
Pegasus - Especially for my friend Pyewacket
Here's the perfect picture for you hun, with my blessings
@Trace86 (5043)
I would like to think they existed at one time or another. Most mythical things had some basis in fact at one time or another. Maybe something in the past that was beyond explanation, a genetic anomaly. I think dragons may be related to the dinosaurs. They weren't suited to the environment and became extinct.
You could well be right hun, I firmly believe that they did, at some stage, exist. Thanks for your comments
@Sherry12 (2475)
I really like reading about them. My favorite is also the dragon. It would be interesting to know how they came about to have so many stories about them. They might have existed, or else, people had really good imaginations to come up with them.
It's odd that almost every culture in the world has a *dragon* legend or tale isn't it :-)
@Woodpigeon (3710)
I actually wonder if somehting like dragons and so forth did exist, as leftovers from the reptilian era. You know how they discover animals/fish that are supposedly long exinct, but are just hiding away in some safe and untouched corner of the world. Why not dragons? MAybe they are all gone now, but maybe they did exist. Just an a side, but I wonder have you read Temeraire by somebody Novak? I finished it and the second one, Black Powder War. Brilliant book if you're into dragons!
*runs off to find books* - LOL I suppose one of the things that puzzles me, there are dragons in all cultures across the world, so they must have existed in some form
yes i do and also in other worlds with different beings to ours it would be bad not to think so as so many things happen noone can explain and what about who drew the pictures of dragons and phoenixs in the first place were they just fantasies in their minds but a lot of fantasies we have and visions are true realities somewhere so i always believe and these kinds of animals are quite magickal aswell they say they used to exist in the past but the history stories are more updated than what you read about the past in say cleopatras times so i think they must exist in other dimensions and worlds different to ours maybe a 6 7 or 8 dimension who knows
Thanks hun
@peaceful (3286)
Being a Dragon myself and seeing the power of the Phoenix manifest in my very own Life, I would have to give the answer to your question as an unqualified YES! LOL!
Thanks hun, see I knew I was right :-)
@emeraldisle (13158)
I think that at least at one time they did exist. There are too many legends spread all over the world to not have something to give them credence. I think it's possible some may still exist. There are parts of this world still left unexplored. Who knows what might be found there. Also they could be in a different plane of existence or out of phase with this world. Even perhaps moving at such a faster pace then us that we can't see them but they can see us like statues barely ever moving. Who knows.
@Slashher (117)
• Denmark
I don't believe they existed, I like them though :P
@Shaun72 (15968)
• Palatka, Florida
I think they are neat the pictures and designs of them my best friend's husband likes them and so does her 6 year old son.
I think perhaps dragons may have existed, perhaps in prehistorical times. I don't think that these mythical creatures as we know them or think of them today probably existed, although wasn't there something that proved that at one time a unicorn type of animal did exist? I'm not talking a flying one, but a horse with a type of horn in the middle. I guess either way, believe or disbelieve, it's a matter of opinion and imagination. I figure what's the harm in wanting to believe in such awesome creatures!?